2020 Dauphine (Spoilers)

Damn…this Wout kid seems like he is pretty good. He may win a race or two.

:crazy_face:

Indeed. Very Exciting. Does anyone know if/which Grandtour he is gonna take one? Either way Jumbo-Visma is a real powerhouse this year. I really hope all the Grand Tours go through. They might be the most exciting in years.

1 Like

He is slated to race the Tour, but only in support of J-V “Big Three”.

1 Like

TJV saw how successful the Movistar “Trident” was last year so they decided to one up them and form the “Quadent”

3 Likes

Very good, considering the setback he had at the World’s, makes you wonder how much Froome has recovered…

1 Like

Given that he finished 5 minutes off the back of the bunch today, not too well it seems.

1 Like

Or he bailed early as he has no GC ambitions.

2 Likes

Froome looked like he was suffering on that climb, so it didn’t look like a GC strategy, more that he had no legs with the pace. The motions he was making with his hands made it look like he didn’t like the surges going on in the pack.

4 Likes

Or maybe the Ineos Tour squad is already decided, and he’s not in it? Who knows.

Not having GC ambitions is one thing, but he was miles off the back of the bunch today. On the bright side, because this season is so compressed, we’ll soon see how his form is for the Tour…

1 Like

Froome sat up…he didn’t get dropped. he was chatting with Castroviejo when the bunch went clear. I don;t think he was too concerned about today.

My bet is that he is saving himself for one bike day during the race so he can show he can finish with the contenders on one of the mountain stages.

2 Likes

CyclingNews:

FloBikes will show the race in North America. Subscribing to FloBikes will set you back $30 per month or $150 for the year, and gives you access to watch most of the season’s biggest races.

so I go to FloBikes, thinking it might be time, and apparently the US is no longer part of North America:

Guess its time to renew NBC Sports Gold…

1 Like

The “not in your area” is wrong. I have FloBikes, in SF, and I was able to watch this morning’s stage.

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

Sorry on the above, as I totally spaced. I have FloBikes and NBCSports Gold, and I conflated that I watched the Dauphine on NBCSports.

Sorry for the confusion

2 Likes

:+1:t3:

1 Like

Not sure, he was very solid at Tour de l’Ain, stage 2 and 3 looked a lot like he wanted to prove that he can be a fine super dom at the Tour. Dauphine yesterday seems more like deliberate sitting up, either to save legs or to buy some time so JV might allow him a stage win?

2 Likes

They’ll take him, the alternative is Rowe (massive engine on the flat, controlling early one in the stages) or Amador, who is another impressive climbing domestique.

At this stage there’s little chance Froome is in the condition to win the GC so surely as a stage option, support for Bernal and an incredibly experienced Grand Tour rider, I can’t see Ineos selecting against him.

1 Like

It will all depend on whether they believe he will actually ride in support of Bernal (or Thomas).

I have a ahrd time believing he is back to his GT-winning form after last year…but at the same time, I can’t see Froome willingly going to the Tour to play super-domestique. Unless he is brutally honest with himself, he’ll go to France looking to win, IMO.

1 Like

All the talk of TJV being a super team might have been premature. Ineos is putting the hurt on the peloton right now.

1 Like

Agreed…everyone was going ga-ga after the Tour del Ain and yesterday’s stage, but those were just warm-ups. It was like predicting the World Series based off Spring Training.

1 Like