1000 watts for 1min proof

Maybe he never put in an FTP in TP or ignored TP’s FTP notification?

3 Likes

I’d love to hear more about maybe some core workouts in the 3 months building up to this kind of effort, if you do any sharpening up in the week leading in (like, idk, 5 x 20 seconds @ goal avg or something like that), and in general how highly you credit just a pure beefy aerobic base of high 300’s FTP vs. perhaps a really intentional focus on doing short high power intervals. In other words if you were just trying to work on your 1 minute power, would your training still be pretty typical aerobic work, multi-hour sessions most days of the week?

Very interested in hearing more about someone with this kind of power because it’s so rare to see, and even more rare to get a chance to hear their thoughts on training. I find myself very interested in the track cyclist levels of power, but have NO idea where I could find people discussing training for it online.

2 Likes

Unless I’m way off, to get 1000TSS/hr (to yield the 2000-3000 TSS for 2-3 hour rides screen shots) the OP would need a 4 digit FTP.

1 Like

Impossible. In a very simple formula, TSS=IF x IF x duration (in hours) x 100. It’s not possible to go over 100 TSS/hr if you tested for an FTP properly regardless what the FTP is.

I agree. That’s why I posted. Just saying something is wicked not right and under reporting an FTP by 50-70-90 Watts doesn’t come close to accounting from the TSS. I used TSS=(secxNPxIF)/FTPx3600(100)…I was trying to get a TSS of 1000…

1 Like

If his TP FTP is saved as 100w or so, then his intensity factor would be something like 3.0, which would then translate into the TSS figure?

Clearly Calum is not using TP TSS to estimate his training workload, but for analysing his data (better tool for it than Strava)

1 Like

Pretty simple explanation, my FTP on TrainingPeaks is set to 100W. Reason being that doing so makes their workout creator very easy to use (power targets are based off of percentages of your FTP)

Well done to @acliffalay and @Trippy for working it out :sweat_smile:

It’s probably a case of both. If your FTP is 100w and you’re riding at 300w for 3hrs you’d still be maxing out at 900 TSS.

What are your average wattages for those rides and more importantly your performance (i.e. how do you compare on strava segments for those pieces)?

There’s only one way to find out: get a blender.

2 Likes

It is not a case of both. I have opened the “1071w for 60sec” workout in TP, reset my FTP to what it actually is and then recalculated the ride for you. Screenshots of the process are attached. The TSS went from 2079 to 171.

Your wern’t taking into account the huge IF multiplier 1000w (and any other high power) gives you when calculating TSS if your FTP is set so low.

Since I attached links to the same rides on Strava you could have analysed the entire ride to compare to your hypothesis before drawing conclusions.

2 Likes

The guy has won hill climbs in the UK. The hill climb scene here is serious. You don’t win one without some insane W/kg. No need to go looking at strava segment times.

3 Likes

Beast! Raced against him a few times, not even a contest :sleepy:

1 Like
1 Like

Happy to answer your question @mattBLiTZ but not sure I have too much insight to give haha. I am lucky that I came into cycling from a power and sprint based sport (decathlon) so I had years of jumping, sprinting, throwing and being in the gym. That presented its own problems since I had practically no endurance when I began cycling! It took me ~3 years to developed my aerobic capacity to a reasonable level.

Somehow I appear to have maintained my strength and anaerobic capacity. I’d say that is down to the BRUTAL Hill Climb TT scene here in the UK where we kill ourselves every weekend for 2 months racing up hills haha.

For me to make improvements I think it will all come from further development of my aerobic side with some sharpening up for races every year. But for 90% of cyclists I’d say they could make vast improvements to their anaerobic capacity and peak power (e.g 30sec x5 full recovery, 1 rep max squat/ deadlift, box jumps, standing starts trying to snap your cranks). Whether or not you would want to dedicate energy towards that is a different question though, since almost all cycling events are aerobically dominated.

Sorry that didn’t really answer your question. (My “core workouts in the 3 months building up” were all 4-5h of easy riding, boring answer :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

If you don’t do any red Hook crits you should. Your numbers are off the hook and I’m sure with your background even at the end of the crit you could uncork a world class sprint. $$ to be made…

Fixed gear racing is a niche, much like short punchy hill climbs!
Bike handling and being able to hold close to threshold and surge a lot is more important than a max sprint. More like CX in that way I think.

Ability to completely empty yourself over 400m or 1500m is a skill that probably translates well from the athletics track for short max anaerobic → vo2max efforts.

@scratch_bear out of curiosity, did you favour the shorter 100m sprint/hurdles/jump events?

One of the reasons I ask is that I have a friend who had serious ACL injuries from hurdles, unable to run effectively, transitioned into track racing to a good level of success.

WOW!

You my good sir (and all of your kind) are Superhero(es) surrounded by us mere mortals :open_mouth:

My 1 min power are about 50% of yours and I’d be freaking ecstatic if I could reach up to 75% of that :rofl:

1 Like

With a 1 minute 1000W and 2000+ max you could crash ever lap and still crush everyone. :sweat_smile:

Seriously though I get what you’re saying. However, it’s not that hard and with his experience, power and work ethic he could most likely do really really well. Hell, our local hard ass, Eric Marcotte (2x National pro champion) I do not believe could do 1000W for 1 minute. He was close IIRC 900+ but, this is second hand from Chris Tolley (both from Elbowz Racing)…His trademark was to literally ride people off his wheel last lap and still have enough to sprint.

I was a decent all rounder I’d say. I was a good
athlete but certainly nothing special. One thing I had that was different was a long stride length which put down to being able to generate very high forces but needing slightly longer ground contact times to do so. Further supported by being decent at Olympic lifting, which I used as strength work.

I believe that translates well to cycling where compared to sprinting you have a very long time to apply force during each downward pedal stroke, even when doing 110+ rpm.

I think @acliffalay is rite, it’s more your technical ability and monster thresholds that win Red Hooks. I have no idea how they corner that well while fixed, very impressive. Plus I don’t have a death wish so… :sweat_smile:

I race road and crits here in the UK for fun but I’m mediocre haha. Ive won the odd cat2 race. I’ve not raced with an suitable FTP to back me up yet. I’m excited for next year since it will be the first year racing with a good aerobic side. Should be a laugh!

1 Like