Zwift Secures $120m Investment - What does it all mean Basil?

Perhaps TR enrollment will increase since the Zwift racers are going to need to train if they want to win.

This was totally meant as a joke, didn’t mean disrespect to any individual or organization. I apologize @mcneese.chad

1 Like

No smiles, so not sure of you are serious or joking? (If serious, this is precisely the type of negative comment that does no benefit to anyone.)

Zwift already offers training plans (referenced multiple times here), and I fully expect that to grow as they build into this expansion of racing.

They will likely offer more plans via their links with British Cycling and the numerous coaching services to which they are connected.

Zwift may be a game, but it’s no joke. They will only continue to grow. The expansion of the Companion app should serve as a clear indication that they will be moving more into the TR space eventually.

I feel TR offers great products and are set on making them better and more capable. I am hitched to the TR train and have no intention to hop off. But I like Zwift too and believe they are getting more competitive with the TR offering.

Competition is good and I plan to benefit as a user of both apps for the foreseeable future.

5 Likes

Agreed, and this is why I pay for both. Despite not using TR plans anymore (been a long time user but got a coach recently).

1 Like

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

It helps the joke come across more clearly with winks or other smiles. Pure text often fails to convey the humorous nature intended.

1 Like

FWIW… (very little if you ask my wife…) Zwift is a fine product. But, I did not grow up with video games and while I find it a good distraction from Winter garage rides… and FAR better than the roller rides/turbo-fan rides of just a few years ago… I get bored of the video game feel. My riding buddy really enjoys Zwift. He is also 10 years younger, grew up with video games, and is drawn to the ‘social’ feel of riding with others Zwift provides.

I guess I am more of a solo rider than a ‘group’ rider and like riding with and toward a solid goal, that TrainerRoad provides me.

Since the company I work for was recently acquired and sold twice in the past month… I admit that I am a bit sensitive to mergers and acquisitions. My concern is that TrainerRoad will be acquired by Zwift and assimilated into the video vastness of Watopia… The value of all of Chad’s plans and the terabytes of athlete (and product) data TrainerRoad sits on is worth millions in today’s application and consumer-data driven economy…

3 Likes

I think that is highly unlikely for a number of reasons.

4 Likes

Same here, people are the worst and I try to avoid them :smirk:. I enjoy my solo rides in the woods and bashing my brains out on the trainer in my basement.

2 Likes

I still have zwift and run it alongside TR sometimes (and sometimes race, but rarely because I prefer sticking to plans). Here are my gripes about zwift, which are of course purely subjective and mostly about my own ability to pay attention than anything:

-doesn’t feel that immersive to me. Possibly because I’m not in sim mode, a lot of it is my monitor setup, I’ve tried it with my bedroom TV once and the larger screen size in front of my face helped to make me feel more engaged in the world. At the moment I’ve got it set up off to my right on a 21" monitor, so it’s kind of just there.
-workout/training plans lacking. I realize this has changed and is changing, but first impressions are tough to shake and that was really half-baked for a long time
-attention to effort. The thing with using trainerroad’s structure is that I realize when I’m in a workout, I have a hard time focusing on anything visual, I much prefer audio

Those are my main reasons for preferring TR to zwift. The only group ride I would ever do is a race, I see too many group rides and it seems like a pain to be a part of (too many messages of “stick together” lol). I have betas of some other emerging apps that I haven’t given a fair try of yet, but since I’ve gotten my hammer I’ve been super dedicated to TR and always feel happy when I get through the workouts.

2 Likes

I hope you are right! However, being the pragmatic realist I am… the natural drive to secure one’s family future and the real pressures of investors wanting a quick return, often results in unexpected decisions when an opportunity presents itself - even though one is highly competitive.

In the meantime, I guess I will ponder the true significance of all of this while I tackle “Jepson” later this morning! :rofl:

1 Like

I just want to know if Nate, Chad and Jonathon ever ride around Watopia ever :rofl:

3 Likes

Zwift would be a great place to do the endurance rides in the POL training plans they are following. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That’s exactly what I do :joy::rofl::joy:

There’s a lot a neagtivity on this forum toward Zwift, and it’s almost seen as an inferior platform or those using Zwift aren’t serious about training. It’s almost got the the point that I’ve considered pulling the plug on my TR subscription.[quote=“AndyGajda, post:13, topic:8294”]
There’s a lot a neagtivity on this forum toward Zwift, and it’s almost seen as an inferior platform or those using Zwift aren’t serious about training. It’s almost got the the point that I’ve considered pulling the plug on my TR subscription.
[/quote]

Who cares what people on a forum write? There’s always “somebody wrong on the internet” so you just ignore them - it’s an essential skill of contemporary (online) life.

The reason for having or not having a TR subscription is whether it works well for you as a training tool and whether you like the tool at the price being charged.

Posts on forums are irrelevant to that decision.

10 Likes

I have never used Zwift. I am lucky that where I live in the UK I can cycle outside most weekends all year round. I am not a racer, to me cycling is about being out on the bike and enjoying. I look at cycling in the cold over the winter as a way to appreciate the summer :slight_smile:

I would like to see TR have outdoor plans rather than use Zwfit and spend more time indoors on a trainer.

Jersey/Guernsey?

Hertfordshire.

1 Like

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I am lost to find the purpose of Zwift, or Zwift racing…I just don’t get it. I haven’t played a video game in any form for over 10 years, leading me to think that maybe it was just my lack of interest in gaming, so it’s interesting to hear someone who is a gamer say that they also find it boring.

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against folks who do enjoy Zwift (as long as they are also supporting TR of course), it’s just not for me and I struggle to find the value in the cost (especially after the price increase).

But you’re still here. And you can honestly say you find Zwift racing exciting to watch? As in you’d sit there and watch it while NOT participating. Really?

I find Zwift extremely boring unless in a race or fast bunch ride. I like numbers and data, and with a dual screen setup I watch music or cycling videos. Mark my words though, even if there pro’s racing, I would not watch other people Zwifting, ever.

1 Like

Last time I played a video game was Joist or Centipede in a mall arcade and based off the research I have done i will say Zwift does not interest me. I did ride an Espresso Upright a few times during a recent 5 day cruise because the spin bikes where reserved for paying spin class users. While the Espresso was interesting at 1st I quickly lost interest in the virtual display and zoned it out while peddling.

I can see how it would work for some but I am glad that there are other options available.

Cycling teams and esports!

It’s like multiplying two negative numbers together to get a positive one, right?

2 Likes