“Wider” road tire question

I’ve been running these on me Venge since last fall with aerothon tubes.

2 Likes

I have been running 32 Pro One’s the last few months on my Addict RC. Daily life at 65/68 PSI is so nice its worth the extra effort to hang with the pack. I’ll go back to 28s when I go back to real racing again.

1 Like

what did you end up picking?

Haven’t picked yet … need them for a vacation this summer, and I’m trying to get out in front of the supply chain :upside_down_face:

However, it seems like the 32 Conti STRs are the leader in the clubhouse, so I’ll probably do that.

Hard not to look thrice at the S TR… What is the inner width of your rim?

21mm

I’ll be trying out some different 26-32c tubeless tires on a rim with that width, will let you know what I find. I have brand new 30c GP5K S TR but they have been next to impossible to mount on 3 different wheels (Aeolus Pro 3V 25mm internal, Rapide CLX 21mm internal, and Terra 25mm internal). Trying again tomorrow on a new 21mm internal width rim.

GP5k hands down. I’d probably

One thing, I’d have it on a really wide rim because fat tires don’t look so fat on big rims.
I’d probably run 28f/30r or 30f/32r as well, not 32/32

For those interested in how this turned out … (update adjusted for supply chain delays)

I opted for the Continental Gran Prix 5000S TR — 30mm front / 32mm rear

I took them on a 2 hour spin Wednesday and am about to take them out for a proper training ride today. The early returns are I’m INCREDIBLY impressed.

The are fast, plush and grippy. I’m really happy with them.

I don’t know if it’s the width, or a true advancement in their technology, but I didn’t think anything would ever match the road feel of my beloved 28mm Vittoria Corsa G 2.0s - but I think these do.

These Contis are also the most expensive tire I’ve paid for … and I don’t ride inexpensive tires. But they have delivered on their lofty tag out of the gate.

Also, having mounted them up on my new (as of this March) Open UPPER, this really reinforces any argument that this bike could be a quiver killer if you were so inclined. Photo below …

12 Likes

IMO tan sidewalls look great on bikes with simple visual aesthetics. :+1:

3 Likes

They’re still not cheap, but even with shipping to the US there are decent deals at www.bike-discount.de

Availability varies but these end up < $70 US.

I bought some Schwalbe Pro Ones from them and got them in about a week. 4 ended up roughly $55/each I think.

1 Like

This, sir, is one sexy bike.
Congrats on the build, those are some tastefully chosen components to an awesome frame (I’m also a member of the Vroomen family with my 3T Strada, although with his “other wife” 3T). Indeed, I think the Open UP/UPPER is where most “road” bikes should go: super wide tire clearance, flexible when it comes to the build and an endurance geometry. The latter isn’t for me, but I can definitely see that this should be the default recipe.

Out of curiosity, what gearing do you run? Is that a 10-44 cassette? And it looks like a 40-tooth chain ring, perhaps a 42?

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment :+1:

It was the first bike I personally built up from scratch and I’m incredibly happy with it.

To answer your question, the cassette is a 10-44 and the chainring is a 42t, however I just ordered a 44t chainring and will be swapping it out this week. I was going back and forth between a 42 and a 44 chainring when I put it together … I decided on the 42t but it has me living out on the last 3 cogs most of the time.

The primary use of the bike is a gravel racer (I have a dedicated road bike) but I’m taking a vacation in a few weeks where I’ll be doing a gravel race, but the rest of the trip I’ll be riding road … this is why I’ve been testing out road tires in it, and I’m only taking one bike.

Thanks again :metal:

2 Likes

Why a bigger rear wheel? Why not a bigger front and a smaller rear?

Mainly because I couldn’t find a pair of them, but I found individual tires in those sizes. I found a lot of 28s online, but the 30/32 sizes were scarce… especially with the tan sidewall.

I am in the process of building a quiver killer (Cervelo Aspero) and I am very excited to try a set of either 30 or 32mm continental tires. The biggiest issue I am having right now is I dont know what rims to try, I think I honestly want to run the NXT45CGX

I think those can possibly still achieve that standard aero shape that I was always told (2-3mm wider than tire width).

The roads where I live are very poor and want to see how much slower if any I am with our local group ride over my 25mm’s.

Thank you to everyone that has been commenting on this thread.

(Edit: would love to hear any input on the equipment side of things if anyone has some).

With 28mm tires I can see those rims obeying the rule of 105 for sure, but probably not with 30s and definitely not with 32s. I think the 30s will blow up to at least 31mm due to the 25mm internal width of the rim.

Either way I don’t think you’ll be slower than you were on your 25s. Likely faster due to lower rolling resistance over your rough roads.

2 Likes

I have a set of the AGX45 for gravel racing, I’m afraid those are too wide for the 105 rule.

I could always just try them first before buying another set of wheels.

Agx45

My 35mm tires blow out to 39mm on those rims

Yeah I have the AGX36. They’re great but I’ve given up on the idea of the rule of 105 with them!

That said, for road tires I assume they’d work for you. Rule of 105 just says rims need to be at least 105% as wide as tires. So put some 32s on there and you’re golden!

I don’t have access to the above mentioned rims, anyone else running more mainstream rims for their 32s? I was considering a Winspace grapid or rovals ….