Why so many ramp test?

I just resigned up to TR and I noticed when I created my plan, it has me do a ramp test every 4 weeks. I know the last time I did TR with a training plan I didn’t do that many ramp tests. Is there a reason I need to do one every 4 weeks?

Compliance is mandatory.

4 Likes

The ramp tests will continue until morale improves.

14 Likes

Yeah, because you are crazy good & you’ll be putting 20W/month on your FTP for sure.

But, if you don’t want to do a ramp test that often (because it feels like an epidermoty) just add 5W to your FTP and go another 4 weeks.

FTP

:wink:

6 Likes

TR overprescribes ramp tests big time. Feel free to skip some. I test FTP maybe 4 times a year max, and that is plenty. I can pretty much accurately guess mine, and a test just confirms my zones are right.

Sure, maybe if you’re new, but anyone with some training experience, its overkill.

4 Likes

exactly. FOLLOW THE PLAN!
not following the plan and then complain how “TR made me slower”

2 Likes

They do indeed, and the ramp test under predicts for me (for once I am not average, when it would be better to be, I’m outside the 85% of the bell curve). I was substituting them for 20min tests pre TT season but during the season 20min tests are too much IMO so I have mostly kept my FTP the same. The season has just ended so I’ll restart testing but I think I’ll try a 8mins test.

Ramp tests are planned at the start of every block in base and specialty, and also midway in build. So for the two base blocks it would be once every 6 weeks. Build blocks are 8 weeks but have a ramp test after recovery week 1. I’d say you could skip the one in the middle of build if you don’t like them. You might improve a bit in the first 4 weeks but even then you’ll still be in the right zones for the 2nd part of build.

The reason you’d want to test frequently is to keep making sure your baseline is correct. To far off and you’ll be training different energy systems than the plan wants you to do.

2 Likes