Whoop strap or best HR strap

Polar H10 - this is one of the few that will give good during working HRV results if that is something you ever want to do. Tickrs do not give valid data.

My first chest strap was a Wahoo tickr. Lasted circa 18 months then gave up, in hindsight I think over washing the strap (I accidentally put the whole thing on the washer :grin:) was the cause.

My replacement tickr failed within a few months (no idea what) and I moved over to using the free strap that came with my Wattbike atom.

It’s been rock solid for 2 years :facepunch:t2:

I was using Garmin Dual but it always dies within 2 years, and at the end of the lifespan it became uncomfortable for me, causing scratches on my chest.

Went with Polar Verity Sense recently (optical on a armband) after friends recommendation and good DCR review. And as a plus, it tracks HR while swimming + can record data without a watch. Lets see how it goes longterm.

I use the older version, the OH-1+ and really like it. Chest straps don’t work well with me and kept injuring me (took me a while to realize that’s what was happening and that I wasn’t having heart problems). It fits nicely under my Jersey sleeve and accuracy seems very good.

My whoop is ok when on the bike trainer. It is terrible when running or swimming. I use a Garmin running chest strap with electrode gel. It made it more accurate in cold weather while running.

Never had any issues with my Wahoo Tickr.

If it would experience a short dropout in the future I wouldn’t really care.

1 Like

Polar H10 and Verity (used to have OH) and both have been great. I prefer the armband but sometimes forget to charge it so have chest band too.

My previous Garmin worked fine for years and still running but wanted the multiple Bluetooth / ANT channels to pair with all the devices I use now…

I looked into the Wahoo tickr but read about too many reliability problems, and largely only good things about the Polar devices. Plus wanted to explore HRV and that pointed to the H10.

1 Like

I’m sure Polar is a good choice as well. I was eyeing them up but got the Tickr as my LBS round the corner from where I live sell Wahoo. It’s worked flawlessly so far.

If you need help deciding read DC Rainmakers reviews.

May I recommend the 2010 edition Garmin premium heart rate strap that came with my Forerunner 210. Has outlived two Garmin watches now, a brief non use period can’t remember if it was 1 or 2 years while I went to Wahoo with Bluetooth support for indoor training. I think I had the Tickr replaced under warranty once, so about 9 years use.

1 Like

New to Wahoo and not enjoying it so far. More dropouts than ever had with Garmin and periods where it reads materially under where it should (eg threshold workout, it gives me 120bps vs 160+ where I know my HR is).

Are you wetting the contact area before you wear it? (Not judging, that’s just the only thing i know of that helps. I moved to GarmIn Dual and have been happy)

If you want an optical arm band, the Scosche Rhythm+ has been great for me. The 2nd generation version has a 24-hour battery life, compared to 8 hours on the original.

41PzgEZ24rL.SL160

There’s Polar H10 and then there’s everything else. It’s really as simple as that.

2 Likes

I think the problem is the inverse, ie too wet, trainer ride, dripping like I were in a sauna. Thinking of getting a tri strap to cover all bases.

1 Like

Same. I gave up on the Tickr.

For those, like me, who don’t like using chest straps the Polar OH-1 optical armband has been great for me. It never misses a beat (pun intended). I have a couple of Polar chest straps too, but I prefer using the OH-1.

According to DCR’s review the Whoop doesn’t seem very accurate for training purposes, which fits my experience of other wrist based optical sensors. But I don’t have any personal experience of Whoop. That review put me off getting one for now. I like the concept though.

I wasn’t happy with the Wahoo Tickr; lasted little more than a year before it failed in a strange way, it got an HR ceiling ~140bpm. Never machine-washed the strap, only hand washed, and a new battery didn’t help.

Replaced with a (Garmin) HRM Dual which has the Bluetooth issue (I recently resolved it by resetting phone and tablet network), but I usually use ANT+. Aside from that so far so good but it’s been less than a year.

1 Like