Where did you workout (ride, run, etc) OUTSIDE today? (2023)

My first contribution of the year:
On Jan 1st I did a shorter ride, with two shorter climbs. The first was around 20 minutes and the seconds around 14 minutes. I tried riding both at around sweetspot.
The route isn’t any spectacular and I had done it before, so didn’t really feel the need to take pictures.

After a rest day, I wanted to do the Teide again.
Climbing big volcanos on January 3rd has now become a tradition (2 years running), sort of…

The one on Tenerife is very different from the „Mauna“ ones though. Quite stubby in comparison :sweat_smile:.
I went from the hotel to Los Cristianos, which took me significantly longer than I had anticipated, with loads of traffic and construction works on the way there.
Once arriving at the roundabout in Playa Americas, it’s a long, and beautiful way :up:.
The road gets a lot quieter in La Camelia (literally the Female Camel) when the you turn off the main road.
The climb is incredibly steady in gradient, with an average of 6.4% over its 33k length, and hardly any flat or down hill bids, but basically no 10% or more either.

The road is in really good condition, which makes riding up and down equally enjoyable. Also, today was an incredibly calm day for Tenerife, with hardly any wind ever.

Between Arona and Vilaflor, the land scape starts getting a little more lush than down on the coast and a set of really beautiful serpentines will carry you up for the next few kilometers.
I didn’t stop once on the climb, so I didn’t take pictures, but this should give a good idea:

The next landmark is Vilaflor, a very beautiful little village, that I understand is the highest proper village of the Canary Islands at around 1450m of elevation. On the last hairpin in Vilaflor, there is a famous Cafe, that serves local sweets. Really nice place that I have visited on a bus tour before. No time for stopping today!
The last 3rd to the top is by far the highlight of the entire climb, as corona Forestal now surrounds the roads, with green pines.
The pines are instrumental to Tenerife‘s water supply, with them „catching“ the water from the clouds, and letting it condense into the ground. Today was one of those days to see this in action, as it got super cloudy up here.
I had pretty good legs by now, after having suffered a little early on. I was racing my wheels off, but tried to maintain a low tempo speed throughout. My goal was 275W, which turned out to only be 268W, after this 2 hour climb ended more abruptly than I anticipated. I wanted to push the last k hard to at least get to 270W avg, but the Wahoo played me well here, and showed a final incline, that didn’t exist.
Well, 2:02:35 is the time, some 30min slower than the KOM, and a little slower than I would have wanted. If I had known I was this close to sub 2, I had pushed harder, but who‘s counting anyway?

I stopped after the first little decline to put my jacket and leg warmes on. It was sun 10C by now, and very very cloudy.

All the peaks were shy today.
So I went on, on the undulating road, to get to the point where I turned around last time. For the first few Kilometers, I could hardly see 20 meters in front of my bike, but that subsided a little lower down the mountain!
Despite the wet road, the descent was a lot more enjoyable than last time, with hardly any wind.
I also so Marciej Bodnar again, the Total Energies pro I had a little chat with the other day. He didn’t seem to recall me, as he was ripping up the mountain apparently doing intervals.

After 30ks of descending, the sun came out again, and the first palm trees were a good signal, that the windbreaker and legwarmers can be stored away again.

I can really recommend this side of Teide more than the other, with it offering a lot more variety in the road (the route I did a few days ago basically had 3 huge hairpins) and some really beautiful views… on a clearer day.

8 Likes