Where did you ride OUTSIDE today (2022)

Got a late start yesterday, and my rear tire was down from 62psi to 30psi. Pumped it up at the hotel and started out. As I’m leaving the parking lot I get this text from my daughter, she does a lot of field work at Vandenberg Space Force Base and was on the base for nearly front row seats:

Well that was going to happen in 20 minutes, bummed that we couldn’t be closer. And then 19 minutes later my rear tire made the “woosh” sound and I pulled over to see sealant coming out the side hole on the rim. So I called my wife to pick me up and take me to the bike shop.

Forgot to pull my phone out, so here is a pic of the SpaceX launch contrail about 5 minutes late: Silca's 'Ultimate Tubeless Sealant' is made from recycled carbon fibre - #133 by WindWarrior

And looking east from the same spot:

After Foothill Cyclery retaped the wheel and topped off with Orange Seal regular, I was on my way again.

Field of mule deer looking at the Irish Hills for the first climb up Prefumo Canyon:

Obligatory pic from the top of Prefumo Canyon, looking north toward Morro Bay, Cayucos, Cambria, and Hearst Castle:

Solid marine layer, no chance of seeing Morro Rock today.

On the gravel connector between Prefumo and See Canyons I spotted a mama cow and three calves, see if you can spot 'em:

Always love me a good more cowbell moment.

It was a not too hot climb, about 85-90F / 29-32C, so I had sucked down both water bottles by the time I finished descending the steep part of See Canyon. Stopped at Kesley Winery to refill:

And then onward to the 'Welcome to Pismo Beach" sign:

And into Grover Beach, where they make Voler bibs and jerseys:

Then slowly climbing up to Arroyo Grande:

And finishing the top of Hwy 227 climb out of Arroyo, and looking north toward Bishop Peak back where I started:

Thru the Edna Valley:

And back into San Luis Obispo:

Route:

Miles and smiles

:smile:

11 Likes