Where did you ride OUTSIDE today (2021)

Re: Haute Route Crans Montana

Having lived in Switzerland for 8 years, but not having been there for the past 3 years, I was reminded of the sheer beauty of this country.
I had never been to the Uri (Andermatt, see above) nor the Valais (Crans Montana) before. I can‘t think of many places that are more breathtaking than this! The altitude and the brutal climbs play into this, too, but the scenery is absolutely stunning. With the Matterhorn, the Montblanc and the Dufourspitze (tallest peak of Switzerland) looming over you, and the sunny valley of Sierre/Sion beneath you, I was in awe several times.

I arrived the Tuesday before the event (Friday through Sunday) and got to ride before the event twice. The first was an easy spin on the Gravel bike in bad weather and the second ride was a race priming (leg opener) up the Col de Crans Montana in sunshine.

The stages were well described above, but here you go with a quick overview:

The first stage was cut short with the Sanetsch Pass still being closed because of snow (with 30C in The Valley, wow!).

Day 1: I had great legs during the first two climbs and was able to average around 315W on both of them (>4.5Wkg).
The final climb, with its total of 1500m of elevation gain at 7.2% avg was evil and soul crushing and my power dwindled from bad to worse. The climb Itself (Sanetsch) however has to be one of the most stunning I have seen. From village to forest to high alps in one long climb. Many waterfalls and tunnels through the rock, absolutely amazing!

I placed 24th of 160 on the day, so I was quite pleased.
Being 30 minutes down on the leader however felt humbling :sweat_smile:
(255W NP)

Day 2:
This day is 2 climbs instead of 3.
The longest climb of my life thusfar, but actually quite a pleasure to ride.
The climb goes up to Europe’s highest dam and really was a joy. I was able to average around 280W (>4Wkg) which was quite pleasing for over 90min.
Annoyingly, my timing chip got detected twice at the start and the officials just added my times together, f‘ing up my GC time in one go (3 hours instead of 90 min :sob:)
After a the long descent, which really puts into perspective how long the climb really was, it was super hot in The Valley and my legs were empty. I completely blew up on the climb back up to Crans Montana and was clinging on to dear life. I couldn’t cool myself and suffered badly for 54 minutes at a far too low power (264W).
A rather humbling experience, putting into perspective how crazy stage racing really is.

(247W NP)

Day 3: A uphill TT, up the relatively unknown „Col de Crans Montana“. 8.2% average, over 13% max and 1250m however make it a mighty monster, with more elevation gain than many of the HC climbs of the TdF.
I guess my body ran out of lactate, because my legs felt surprisingly good. I started pretty late (GC ranking in reverse order) and it got rather warm. Staying motivated for a full hours was tough, but in the end, it I placed 17th on the day at 314W average for 57:02, which I am quite pleased with. Over 1300VAM was more than I expected after this much racing in the legs.
TT is just rather my discipline than Mountain stages.

(319W NP, 2 minutes of un-timed lead-in)
In total I should have placed 25th* in the GC, and hope the ranking gets fixed somewhen. Total time (only the time for the 6 climbs) should be around 5:57:25 (3rd in age group).

The whole experience was top notch, sublime Organisation and great fun. I was a little too tired to socialize and sadly didn’t meet @mountainrunner in person.
Can definitely recommend the area (Valais) and the event (Haute Route) to anyone who is into a crazy challenge in great environment with pro tour level support!

*update: the timing was fixed, official time is 5:57:24, 24th of 160, 3rd in age group (sub 30).

18 Likes