Where did you ride OUTSIDE today? (2019 & 2020)

Sandhill cranes everywhere!

Wish I had a better camera. Watching them in the sky and come down for a landing is a sight to see.

Nice view of starlings (lookup “starling murmuration”) right after I left the city, about 20 minutes into the ride/workout:

8 Likes

What do you use for a camera? GoPro or phone or… gasp… an actual, camera-only thingy?

An iPhone SE (2020 version). I was riding z2 and taking a pic one handed. Would have gotten some great video footage with a GoPro, as some of the Sandhill Cranes saw me and scampered away with outstretched wings. They’ve got a pretty good wingspan but at least 100 yards away, probably even farther. That is a highly cropped pic.

2 Likes

You have the most breathtaking rides!! Just beautiful!!

1 Like

@jmt I’m very lucky to have these the majority of these rides literally just outside my door, and the rest (like Zermatt or the Dolomites) a few hours by train or car. (There were a several rides planned for 2020 that were a couple of hours by air, but alas…) I’ve been in Switzerland for four years and have maybe another 2.5 years here. Each week I roll out savoring the opportunities as if it’s my last week. This certainly makes it hard to train indoors or roll on the tri bike, which doesn’t lend itself to taking in the hills and the views. Soon after the turn of the century I guided a blind triathlete (a fast kid 15yrs younger than me) for several races, including Escape from Alcatraz, which fostered in me a greater appreciation for the sights and opportunities of trail running which I think carries over into the gravel riding now. (I’ll get off your couch now.)

3 Likes

@mountainrunner I always look forward to your posts and the gorgeous photos ! The rides look extremely challenging. I always think that is absolutely wonderful that you can manage those kinds of physical efforts and still marvel in all the amazing beauty around you, take photos and share them. Thank you for sharing … the beautiful pictures and the reminder about appreciating our blessings. Happy New Year!

2 Likes

Will this thread be updated or new thread?

2 Likes

NEW THREAD HERE for 2021