Where did you ride OUTSIDE today? (2019 & 2020)

5a roll-out after getting the bike back from the LBS for a twice-yearly deep clean. They seemed surprised at the amount of dirt deep inside the bike. I switched bike shops and this is only the second time they’ve serviced this bike, so perhaps they still need to get used to the fact I ride this bike in all weather (about 3900mi on this bike so far this year). With new bar tape, it looked brand new when I brought it home yesterday evening. I had to “fix” that this morning :slight_smile:

But because it hasn’t rained or snowed in several days, the trails were relatively dry.

On the upside, I bettered my time on a Strava segment to take 3rd overall, moving up from 4th place before. It’s just a fifth of a mile where the first third (more than) is 18-24%, the middle just-under-a-third is 2-7%, and the remainder is 8-10%. My average power was 400w (normalized was 398) for the 2:15 effort.

Considering I’m now 20lbs :flushed: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: overweight which is about 4lbs heavier than when I slid into 5th and then 4th place on this climb. I’m both pleased and looking forward to losing this £$%@ weight. (I’m now 193lbs when I should be 173-175.)

That segment was followed by another mean climb that while it has a gentle lead-in of 5-7% jumps to 20, 24, and steeper, but it too is short at under .2mi. That’s annoying because whoever created the segment cheated because the climb doesn’t actually end when the Strava segment does. There’s just a “turnout.” The climb continues at 22-24% to make it longer than the previous segment.

The latter segment is called “Angry Grandma” but either it plus the rest of the climb or the earlier segment should be renamed the mean father of the Angry Grandma, ie a “Great Mother…” Maybe I’ll get on that.

A good way to start the day. With the kids on Christmas break starting this afternoon, I won’t have the 6:30a-be-in-the-kitchen deadline, which is nice to look forward to.

6 Likes