What would a custom VO2 max progression look like?

Starting into my IM MD training block in 2 weeks, and I would like to start on a vo2 max progression to get me started. I am thinking of 3-4 weeks with 3 vo2 workouts per week.

Would you increase interval duration inside each week or change total work per workout within the week?

Are you trying the TR build programs or you are trying to do your own thing?

Well, I did a 5 week progression of 2 workouts a week (see link below). I started with Bluebell week 1, and built up to 3min intervals at 120 on week 5. I found it helped me regain some lost FTP (10w for the block), and definitely helped with getting more comfortable with those hard 3min efforts

1 Like

Using TR workouts or build my own TR workouts.

I guess I should give some background on myself a little better.
I have come off my own training plan using a mix of TR workouts and my own. What Ive done is base my plan on the standard plans but adding in my own customizations. I started with a high end SS progression ending at a 4x30 @ 92% workout then into time at threshold progression to prepare for now cancelled Eagleman this saturday.
Still following a taper into a big ride this Saturday trying to take a few big KOMs.

So I am not looking at using the Ironman plans as is. More or less looking to kickstart some vo2 max work as I really only have done maybe 3 weeks of it in the last year.

1 Like

Fair enough. In that case i got nothing.
I like when other people do the work for me. I am lazy like that. I just like to follow a book, spreadsheet or online calendar. Now, I just do a few clicks and TR puts everything on a calendar for me to follow. Will see how it works out this time.

There is also a dedicated IM thread around. Maybe you can find good recommendations there.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

So you did the same workout twice per week? Wonder if that still fits in with progressive overload.
But I guess if it worked for you then it worked.

I’m the type of rider who has a lot of trouble with 3min @120. When working thru some of the Olympic build plan, it took me until the last week to complete the full workout without failure/adjustment

1 Like

Progression is going well and kicking my butt! (in a good way)

Will be completing Shortoff +4 today. After that is 2 more workouts in the block
Originally planning on Ansel Adams +1 and then +3, but I’m starting to wonder if that is a good progression from Shortoff +4 or not.

1 Like

I wouldn’t consider going from 3min intervals down to 50/40’s as a natural progression. What’s your thinking there?

Why not go up to 4min intervals? Something like the Pisgah series of workouts would do that.

Original thought was that I would extend TiZ but the rests seem too long to stay up in the vo2 zone.

I was wondering if going longer than 3 min would have diminishing returns or not. I remember a podcast talking about it but don’t recall the specifics.
Those Pisgah ones could work at 115%, I just know for a fact I absolutely could not do 120% for 4 min and keep it repeatable.

No, you’ll just be in zone that much longer. It can take around 1-minute to get up to true vO2max. So a 4-minute interval is probably yielding 3 min of time at vO2max. If you want to expedite that, sprint for the first 15 seconds of the interval.

As far as repeatability at 120%, don’t worry about that. It’s about staying at a wattage that will keep you at ~95% vO2max. I try to aim for a heart rate of around 90-93% of HRmax. Sometimes this can be achieved at 115%, sometimes higher.

2 Likes

Reviving this old thread!

Looking to do a “VO2 Block”. Goal is to get stronger by the end of the block, and then try to raise the ceiling of my threshold power afterwards.

Looking for experiences on how to best do this. My “favorite” type of VO2 max intervals are the 5-min duration type. I do this without ERG, with the goal of producing as much power as I possibly can, without blowing up on the last interval.

Currently I can do 4 x 5 min. Should I be looking to increase my power at the intervals, try to extend each interval duration, add more intervals or something else?

1 Like

I would listen to a couple of the kolie Moore podcasts on this. He has a lot of good info. Also worth taking a look at how Cory Lockwood trains during a vo2 block (don’t try to copy that though, insane intensity)

But I would stick with aiming for ~20 minutes of interval time and try maximizing power while running a high cadence, do as much as you can while respecting fatigue until you stop progressing then rest hard before going onto your next block.

2 Likes

Kolie told me something once that really resonated with me on how to execute vo2

This was after struggling my 3rd workout. I felt shit and was trying to increase power. Increasing power or total duration isn’t the goal of the block. You just want to invite a Max effort every time.

The best way to do that as often as possible is this; “you should be trying to produce the highest heart rate possible using the lowest watts you can”

One of the keys to that is high cadence. Next workout my power dropped considerably but I reached the highest hr so far from the 4 workouts in the first 2 min

9 Likes

i’d take what he says with a grain of salt, I hear he buys up domains of potential competitors just for fun

2 Likes

Dude ain’t even published
(These are inside jokes btw)

Good info! Yes agreed and I should have been more clear haha. Target high cadence (I think he recommended 110ish rpm?) and see where that lands you power wise, should probably see higher power over time but it’s not the goal. Need to go re listen to those episodes again.

Maybe. You might see less of a drop off or a lower heart rate.

1 Like

I do agree it’s very hard to ignore power fully outright.

I should be working extra hard. Damn it!

i just did a block, first week did 6x3 and 7x3 days, 2nd week I did 5x4min twice, and this 3rd week I did 4x5min twice. Whether I’ll profit come next week remains to be seen, but I’ve also been doing the just ride as hard as you can method at high cadence without erg. It hurts but I also appreciate not having to fall into the erg spiral of death too

2 Likes

When you think about the goal of VO2 max training, this makes sense. Your HR max is going to be associated with lower power after a few intervals. TR has a different perspective, obviously.