What Vitamins do you take?

I take what the doctor has advised me to take for my own issues, Vitamin D and calcium.

Why take something you don’t need? More isn’t always better.

2 Likes

None currently. I’ve went through stages where I have took them for a while and never felt any different and fell out of the habit. Except the last time after the LEJOG when I was diagnosed with a chronic iron deficiency but that turned out to be caused by a bowel/colon cancer blocking absorption of iron. I was prescribed iron tablets at the time and went from feeling 70 to 45. I asked the doctors if I should take anything after it was removed and during the subsequent chemotherapy but they said no and recommended I’d get more through diet.

1 Like

I was happy my diet was varied enough that I didnt need a vitamin, but with the reduced variety we get due to COVID restrictions, and some references to vitamin D being good to take now with COVID, I’m taking these Costco/Kirkland ones.

The flax seed sounds interesting though. I really need to get more variety in my diet again, flax seeds, chia seeds etc, just wider variety diet.

kirkland

I’m taking tryptophan and some casein proteins just before bed and I rest like a baby. Whey and some bcaa’s during the day. Excellent fish oil before bed.

Cheap multivitamins and minerals, but perhaps only a few times per week. It’s really only for the vitamins C, D and calcium (I don’t have much dairy and don’t eat as much fruit as I should :worried:), I think I’m very unlikely to be deficient in anything else.

Vitamin D, B12, Omega 3 and a Multi. Vegetarian, so tough to get B12 in diet.

I think over winter I’ve suffered a vit D deficiency and which is not helping with the absorption of B12 over 3inch shorter colon post an April 19 op.
I had no problems until January but I have been getting night DOMs since. Changes in my life in December saw my 99% vegan diet become a mainly meat in every meal diet (moved home) and that coincided with self isolation and a period of poor weather. I think I have compounded it by overtraining and my RHR is up a couple of beats. Ive started to address my diet to have more veg and less meat and hopefully I’ll start to see the sun more but I have ordered some vit B12 and D to see if it makes a difference in the short term.
I probably should get more blood tests, last September they were better than average but they don’t feel that way at the present :neutral_face:

vitaminbottlelogo

Anyone else remember this?

Just to throw in some food for though, I take an effervescent vit C tablet, I’m sure the science is mixed as to how great the benefit is given I eat plenty of fruit but in terms of healthy habits it does prompt me to drink another pint of water in the morning!

I do take some, in particular vitamin D. My doctor explained people in Northern climates will commonly have low vitamin D levels because it comes from sun exposure.

A few years ago I was tested and found to have very low vitamin D. I finally caved in and went to the doctor after feeling fatigued and almost depressed. I felt like I needed a crowbar to pry myself out of bed even if I slept a lot. It was extremely difficult, it came on slowly and makes you think you need to shake it off and get moving but there was NO motivation. After the blood test results and subsequent supplements I started feeling better in a week.

I told my doctor that I believed I needed more vitamin D during my yearly check. The old man looked at me in horror and advised me to eat more fish :grinning: :upside_down_face:

With dark skin and sharing my time between Belgium and Denmark in the heart of winter at the time, I decided to skip the fish and move straight to supplementation :sweat_smile: One year on, I do not regret it at all :face_with_raised_eyebrow: