What tires are you digging right now?

Have you ever run Zipp Tangente RT-25 or RT-28s? I read somewhere that the Pirellis and Zipps are made at the same Hutchinson factory in France. I’m currently running the RT-25 and don’t recall seeing rolling resistance data. On the other hand the new Conti 5000 TL has some impressive rolling resistance data: Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL 25 vs Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR 26 vs Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless 25

My tires are often magnets for sidewall cuts, and from the link above the Pirelli have only marginally higher sidewall protection. However I like the price and your experience, and a couple times a year it seems I get bigger cuts on the center tread (all but two sealed, and I carry bacon to seal those).

Not completely happy with the Zipp RT-25 I’m currently running, they went on a little too easy on my wheels. Almost as easy as Hutchinson Sector 28s which ended up with a bead failure on a downhill in the middle of a national forest. So I’m a bit gun shy with Hutchinson. The S-Works are best but hard to spend $95 on them, our local Specialized shop recommended the Roubaix Pro 2BR for same reasons you give and encouraging to see you give the nod to Pirelli.