What’s your preferred cadence for SS and why?

90 to 95 because no clue. That’s where I tend to naturally land. Anything lower than 85 and I get fidgety and impatient.

1 Like

I’m in the 90-95 range. Maybe 88-93 is more accurate, but I only look at cadence on the trainer in workouts that call for a specific cadence or a cadence variation. 98 seems like too much effort to maintain form for everyday riding, and 84 just seems grindy…

1 Like

100rpm is what I aim for. Overall 95-100rpm seems to be a good range for me.

1 Like

You should be training at 88… the “sweet spot”. Polarized is wrong. You’re wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

That’s one of the underlying questions I had. How much muscle endurance effects am I really missing out on by having a cadence between 95-100? I’m sure that, just like with fat and sugar burning, it’s not as black and white. (What do you think @chad ?)

Low to mid 90s for me as that seems to be my natural cadence that I use when outside and in races so males sense to use it in training. However can do high 90s if requires

If you’re aiming to reduce VLaMax with your SS rides, lower cadence is recommended.

I’ll usually mix things up. Start higher cadence about 90, and then drop to 80, then to 70.

My HR reduces noticeably when I reduce cadence. So reducing the cadence also lowers the RPE, which is a nice benefit towards the end of a 30min SS interval.

2 Likes

I like altering between sets usually. Do a Hi/Lo pattern for cadence. I also mix in different gearing along with that.

3 Likes

Same here. Unless I’m really tired, I’ll switch cadences, gearing, and position between intervals. Drops in a big gear, hoods in a low gear and low cadence, aerobars and a big gear, etc.

Normally for SS I’ll do 90-95, though it drifts higher if I get tired. 80 +/-5 for climbing drills. (With the hills around here, I should be doing climbing drills at 60.) At threshold, more like 95-100.

1 Like

I tend to be around the 90 mark, but dont seem to be able to keep it that high outdoors, I used to be more around 80 but have been trying to increase it so I can run off the bike easier. I also struggle to get my cadence up if I have to push higher power, not really sure why. Only time i can go above say 95 is if its lower z1/z2 kinda effort. and below 80 I feel like im doing a weights session not cycling.

2 Likes

I was looking to see if I was the only one. Outside on the road I’m right around 90rpm, but 100-105 feels so much more natural for me on the trainer. Even when I zone out that’s what I settle in at. But I can’t seem to get there outside unless I’m focusing on cadence and it feels forced.

1 Like

Interesting crank length choice. Seems like most people do the opposite with shorter cranks on the TT bike. Any reason for going longer?

Just never changed them and didn’t know better. Since going full time roadie last season after the second baby, I’ve realized 170mm is a better option for me, so if/when I go back to tri/TT I’ll probably change them out to 170s…

… or just buy a new bike. :rofl:

1 Like