What qualifies as Alpe d'Huez Bragging rights?

:thinking: fair question. Now I have to go back and check my source documents and I will close the loop. So, I got from a book by Peter Cossins “Grandes Etapas Y Clásicas” ( yep thats Spanish I’m a US expat living in Spain"Great Stages and Classics" literal translation ) So as I understand it was the 2007 Tours 14th Stage. Spanish is not my first language so I will go back and see why they named it this way. as the book says:
Ficha - El Alpe d’Huez de los Pirineos then it provides all the data for the stage. Ficha literally translated Google is file. But here in Spain it is used when providing technical data.
No I’m not a Tour historian( But I’m going to learn something now) maybe they*the Tour) name the stages and as this was the name for 2007 stage 14. I will reread the chapter and translated all the words 'm not 100% on. I guess I’m not doing TR high volume next year as I need to redo some Spanish classes:rofl: standby more to follow

MTB is my passion but I’m such a wimp on the descents. I saw a YouTube video on the Megavalanche and NO WAY it looks crazy at the beginning then doable then crazy… :grimacing:

In the back of my mind that is what I was thinking… I will start tng after my A race in April and see if I can handle it. I am 2years shy of 60yrs old. I’ll also need my wife to by as my support crew :sweat_smile:: that might be a harder challenge

@junio As mentioned, try the Marmotte route, so you’re hitting the Alpe after having already climbed the Glandon, Telegraphe and Galibier. They’ll help “loosen up your legs” so you hit the Alpe nicely warmed up :wink:

2 Likes

You know that funny cause I’m 58 and slow but I can go all day. I may have to start in the dark to finish in daylight if I go for the whole enchilada. Gut says go for it, Training will see if my body can withstand the stress without being destroyed.

I like that as an option!! As an ordinary mortal I can get away with talking a litte poo with this option as well. :sweat_smile: I will have to see if I can fit it into the plans and work my wife and daughter into being my support team…

Got it make sure i take the phone dont leave it the car to save weight lol

1 Like

I will have to check it out. The book I was referencing listed El Alpe d’Huez de los Pirineos as the 2007 stage 14 with the technical data I provided. However, it was pointed out that that they are two different climbs. I will have to do more research.

:rofl: Yeah I kinda figured that just wanted to confirm my gut feel. As for your 2020 plan good luck!! its sounds like fun a challenge and definitely A No poo there I was story worthy of iconic props.

Thanks!!! I will check it out thanks again

Alpe d’Huez is a bucket list climb but it is one of the ugliest and busy in the area. You might wonder what all the fuss is about!

I second doing the Marmotte route but start at the crack of dawn (as you dont want to arrive at Adh after sunset, and pray for a cool day.)

Alternatively cycle up the Col d’sarrene which is higher, quieter and harder than Adh but it joins on to the back of ADH so you can still get the photos at the top!

The balcony roads off ADH are also stunning.image

5 Likes

If you are in the area I would highly reccomend the Col du Solude from Bourg. Stunning climb with gravel final few km but perfectly fine on a road bike with 23mm tyres then descend back down via the Col D’Ornon. I rode AdH to say I had done it but the Solude was much more enjoyable.

If you do go up the Solude take a light/torch as the tunnels are long and dark!!

1 Like

I did the Mega 2015 when the weather was horrific. Visibility up top was zero and in the woods you had to go flat out no matter what because otherwise the mud would clog up your wheels. It remains to this day the most unpleasant race I’ve ever done.

1 Like

I second going up the Col de Sarenne if you are in the area. The views of the valley below are absolutely spectacular!

2 Likes

I’m really confused - the Tour de France 2007 Stage 14 didn’t go anywhere near Alpe D’Huez and the Port de Pailhères is near Carcassone, about 500km away Huez!! There’s a map and stage information here: 2007 Tour de France

To answer your question about the Alpe though:

• As a standalone climb it’s not actually amazing. Iconic yes, but it’s a fairly busy highway that can get really busy. The bottom 1/3 is tough but nice, corner 7 is lovely with the Church but it can get really busy, often with coaches
  • The Marmotte is the only answer to the question about what gives you (big!) bragging rights - the routes you’ve proposed barely qualify for bragging compared to the Marmotte but be warned - the Marmotte is very hard, very, very long (it can easily take 13 or 14 hours of hard slog) and even if you start in the dark, you’ll finish in the dark so take lights. You’ll also need to carry warm clothes as it goes over the Galibier which even in high summer can be -C. Then when you’re so tired you can’t see as you’ve been over the Col du Glandon, Telegraphe and the monster that is the Galibier - then you have to go up Alpe D’Huez. Now that’s bragging rights!!

However that could be impossible so have a look here for some route suggestions: Alpe d’Huez – Five Different Rides – My Cycling Challenge and there’s also a useful map with links to write-ups of all of the major French Alpine col’s: Map of French Alps Cycling Climbs – My Cycling Challenge

One important thing to note on the climb itself is to make sure that you keep going on up through the village - as you come into the village (before the mini-roundabout) you come to what looks like a finish line but you need to turn left and keep going up through the village to the top where the official finish is…

As recommended elsewhere on the post the Sarenne is amazing, especially from the East, but you will deposit yourself 2/3 of the way up the Alpe D’Huez climb so you’d need to go down and then straight back up. You could do it the other way round but the Sarenne is better from the East.

If you want some more specific advice nearer the time I’m happy to help you plan a route.

Good luck!

3 Likes

https://www.strava.com/activities/1825624697/segments/45792627087

Power of Trainer Road :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got suggestion for you. Couple years ago I did the route in Alps:

Lautataret, Galibier, Telegraphe, Croix de Fer and you can add Alpe d’Huez at the end :slight_smile:

1 Like

Option HR: Haute Route Alpe d’Huez

That way you get three days of climbing Alpe d’Huez from three different directions. The Bourg dOisans (21 hairpin) climb is a TT, the other two are mountain stages that enter the iconic climb above Bourg dOisans and finish at Alpe d’Huez.

That way you get the experience of having a couple of days of alpine climbing in your legs before having a crack at the iconic 21 hairpins.

1 Like

Maybe this year I will do one of the Haute Route event. But I’m thinking about Norway. I was in the Alps many times but I’ve never been in Norway. The Haute Route is great oportunity to change it :slight_smile: We will see.

1 Like

Bragging to whom?

Here? C

Your CC? B

Your work colleagues? A

Chicks? Forget it, you lost them before you even started.

:wink:

4 Likes