What Other Sports Are You All Into?

Skiing, hiking, climbing, sailing, running - I have found that I just really prefer endurance sports to team sports and despite years of soccer and hockey, I don’t have that much interest in playing them any more.

I am hoping for a snowy winter here in the northeast!

3 Likes

Track days. Cycling is my cheap hobby :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Lifting, running, swimming (well, used to), hiking. Also used to play soccer but kept getting injured.

2 Likes

Over the years I have doing many things and generally been pretty good at most. Not elite level but can hold my own with most folks. Running, swimming, cycling, triathlon, golf, basketball, soccer, etc.

However, just before the whole COVID mess I started playing table tennis with a bunch of guys from church. They are very good players, a few are ranked regionally and nationally. I go 3-4 nights per week and absolutely get my ass kicked each and every time and I love it. I learning new skills and continuously improving but I have still yet to win a straight up game against most of the players. I’m a pretty good double partner though and have had some success there.

2 Likes

I assume British? I’m American but have a few awesome English friends and holy Fck are they all Jekyll and Hyde when it comes to football. I don’t even joke about it with them.

1 Like

I have a buddy into BJJ. I’ve watched them roll…wow. No way but, huge respect. Such a different kind of “tough” and it did seem like a few were there to extract something beyond sparring…

Shodan in Japanese Jujitsu, with a little effort into MMA, and picked up cycling towards the end of it and phased over to being obsessed about this instead.

2 Likes

Basketball
Still play in 2 city leagues. We make the play offs each time so it’s 80min a week and sometimes a 2 hour run.

Basketball destroys my body, but winning drives me

2 Likes

Obsessed with cycling or Jujitsu?

Wow! I‘ll participate in a cycling event next year in Crans Montana, that will lead us through the valleys around these massive mountains. Really looking forward to the stunning views.

2 Likes

Obsessed with jujitsu and now cycling! I’ve had my fair share of crashes and still haven’t picked up anything as bad as I did during jujitsu, so I’m planning on sticking with the bikes for now :joy:

1 Like

I’m into multi sports: road biking, Time Trialling and Mtb to a lesser degree :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

backcountry skiing, fly fishing

2 Likes

I have a cousin-in-law w/ black belt karate and now into MMA. Watched a few fights…same, no thanks. But! Also watched a few JJ matches which were pretty engaging, the grappling and ground work is so tactical, much more than 2 dudes wildly throwing every variation of a haymaker trying to decapitate each other.

Makes you realize just how much “cyclist” does not equate to “athlete”. We should probably all pick up an off-season sport which works us in different ways – mentally and physically – than being on the bike.

One sport(?) I would love/fear to try is wingsuit gliding.

3 Likes

Cyclist are just a different type of athlete but, I get your drift.

As someone who can ride a lot all year round I agree with picking up a different sport in the offseason. I’m guilty of always thinking more is better and find it hard not to ride…

1 Like

Besides MTB/road cycling I enjoy alpine skiing, hiking and occasional dabbling in stand up paddling in the ocean. Also, I was once a runner.

My running days are limited but I adore middle distance running. The mile is (was) my favorite, second favorite the 5k. Running seemed to carve away anything from my body and mind that didn’t make me faster, a fact I’ve realized since I have all but stopped running regularly.

Skiing has been part of my life since I could stand on my own. I had a bad crash in high school and it slowed me down a bit. Still enjoy speed, just not all the time :wink:

*DO NOT attempt at home!

2 Likes

Pictures of you in action please @iamholland :wink:

:point_up_2: Most offensive post on the TR forum! :point_up_2:

:face_vomiting:

I thought @iamholland was a guy. My apology as I thought it was in jest.

So was my post…I just had that horrific onesy thing from recent meme thread in mind. :dizzy_face:

2 Likes