What is the real problem with TR / Wahoo? [Adaptive Training]

And Garmin connect had a workout system in their ecosystem/headunits. Perhaps closer to TRs?

Where are all my Karoo fanbois …we should be angry too

1 Like

here are the options available from Garmin Connect… maybe its just splits via CSV TR uses. My guess is they upload to google earth and take it from there in the background. Thats why the map takes a few seconds to paint

It’s why I want to compare Wahoo files to Garmin files.

And as stated earlier there appears to be no native Strava API for TR to receive the original Wahoo fit file.

Kind of my thoughts too, you know the intervals for base after a while, if you need to dial it down easy enough! I was excited for adaptive training but I need one of those 3 outdoor workouts a week to be outside otherwise what’s the point in riding?! Oh it says on my workouts that petit is a stretch, erm no I think I can handle that one thanks.

1 Like

Could somebody check the Wahoo workout fit file using https://www.fitfileviewer.com?

I did check the Garmin workout and two thing I noticed. One is the info about the workout + steps ( first image below), this is telling quite straight forward the name of the workout and steps of it. Then second image contains laps + message_id, using these informations TR can then map the workout + parse the steps to their workout, maybe. This is only my assumption since I do not know how their logic is implemented.

2 Likes

This has always been my assumption too - only Garmin’s fit files happen to include these workout step details to do the compliance checking.

TR is never going to be able to get every device manufacturer and Strava to provide exactly the sort of interval data to do interval checking. My guess is that this is waiting for outdoor unstructured workouts to be included more generally which would mean going beyond basic checking of interval compliance. In other words not some big conspiracy. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was going to say the exact same thing but forgot to add it to my post :slight_smile: But that is my personal feeling too.

1 Like

Let’s at least get workouts to sync to the Karoo, pls. Then we can complain about AT integration!

If I dual record with my garmin 920xt watch will that be used by AT or does it need to come from an edge?

OR, Wahoo is purposely not developing this because their main mission is to cut out TR entirely because the staff doesn’t use the Kickr and speak highly of the H3 :thinking:

I dual record with my Wahoo Element and Garmin Forerunner 735xt and it works with AT. It’s a bit of a pain trying to manage both devices at times, but at least allows me to get workouts done outside.

1 Like

Why can’t this just be done manually? Like a “Yes, I completed the workout” or “Workout completed outside” button that will then give you the appropriate bump in progression levels. Or even when you link your outdoor workout to the associated indoor, it could register that it was completed and give the appropriate bump?

4 Likes

Outdoor unstructured would fix all of this…

4 Likes

that is a really good point.

I am not sure of how the AT beta determines PL scores though. For instance, I know even on indoor workouts, it doesn’t take into account if you increased/decreased intensity. I am not sure if it takes into account if you did/didn’t hit the set target (like if you didn’t pedal), or if you extend/cut short a workout. If not, then the survey itself and a mapping to the workout would be all you need.

• That is not entirely true. I know for a fact that I have earned at least one “Super Pass” as a result of increasing the workout intensity and matching those higher power targets.

• I also suspect they are also watching for reductions, and will eventually trigger a “Struggle” survey if you drop it enough. I have no idea what that thresh for that or the “Super Pass” actually are, and I doubt we will learn them from TR.

• Yes, they are looking for this. Like above, if you notably exceed or fall short of the power targets, that can trigger the “Super Pass” or a “Struggle” survey.

• And if you modify the workout by pausing excessively in the recovery intervals, or do things like backpedal in a work interval, it can lead to a “Struggle” survey.

• People have reported those basic outcomes, and they make sense that TR is watching for those in light of making proper changes to Progression Levels to keep us pointed in the right direction.

• It’s not that simple, as mentioned above. The actual determination of if and how much to alter Progression levels looks at the prescribed workout, your current PL’s, and how you actually performed with those power targets to make the final changes to PL’s.
1 Like

thanks Chad – on the first point about increasing IF - I have exchanged multiple emails with support on this and they have been clear this has no impact on PL. Maybe that changed, but was told to me as recently as last week. I also did a Productive workout at 115-120% last week and didn’t change PL or trigger a different/additional survey (i have never seen one of those). N=1 and I know TR hasn’t specifically said what triggers PL changes, but I did ask a few times.

Thanks!

1 Like

I do believe the “no additional change to PL from Intensity increase is true”. It’s the very reason I complained to TR about it because I effectively did a workout over 1.5 points higher when you compared my completed work to a very similar workout.

As such, they said that lack of more PL change was under review, and likely would be altered at some point. I have no idea if/when they will actually alter it, but the recognize now that ignoring that is a mistake and seem intent on making some change as a result.

1 Like

Out riding ? using Xert ?

I think there is something more interesting here though, at 1hr:20:30 - 1h:22:00 in the initial “adaptive training” video on Feburary 25th, they say that if you they have a internal version of AT that credits your training for unstructured outside rides, “you just turn on your garmin or wahoo, do 2 * 20 @ threshold, and then tack on 4hr zone 2 and you get creditid accuratly” …“we just need to increase the accuracy”

They can’t even do with that with workouts done in TR, so what has happened to these feathures that were writen, in the the last 5 months (when according to Nate at 1:20, outside structurd workout worked (so presumably on Wahoo and Garmin))

1 Like

If TN and progression levels are so important to you then your choices are to wait until it is fixed or buy a Garmin. Quitting TR doesn’t solve the problem. You can get a Garmin that supports the required features for a few hundred bucks on sale. My choice would be to buy a Garmin. I have used pretty much every bike computer out there and I would say that lately the Wahoo firmware/software is way more bug ridden than Garmin. I have several Bolts that I bought when Garmin’s software was terrible. Garmin has actually really improved the quality since then while Wahoo has gone the other way.

5 Likes

This is a retoracle question of course because maybe none of us know…but isn’t the only real parts of the ride TR needs is power and heartrate? How is that not available, I can download TCX file from Strava when I do power overlay on my YouTube Videos :slight_smile:

I’m sure there is more, but seems there is something more going on. I know on GARMIN devices if the ride isn’t recorded on the watch/device the Training metrics they calculate with 3rd party licensed software won’t calculate (it could but it would be against their license of said software). I wonder if this is more legal stuff…than technical :slight_smile:

All speculation as you say…but I would think that if that’s how they are doing it, they’d def have the tech already. Given the AI aspect of this update, if you look at my intervals.icu chart on structured rides it would be super simple to extrapolate intervals vs rest. I’m guessing that’s not HOW they do what they do. I love intervals.icu, as it gives such good insight in other ways of just “regular” rides…as they pertain to intervals, rests Heart Rate Recovery etc. Such a nice tool/service.