What are your unpopular cycling opinions?

Probably unpopular: white cycling shoes are for sponsored pros and wannabes.

14 Likes

Found Nate’s burner account. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

I hate long rides, and I think the word ‘optimal’ is stupid.

1 Like

90% of roadies and gravel cyclists don’t need drop bar handlebars.

Aero gains are a marketing invention. Same goes for other marginal gains. Sorry Josh.

5 Likes

I use SPD pedals on all my bikes, road or mtb.

I have M520s on my S-Works Tarmac.

22 Likes

Aerodynamics aren’t real!!! Lol

6 Likes

Just to be clear, I have every sub-genre of drop bar bike, most Silca products and I wax my chain on my indoor trainer bike.

2 Likes

Ugh I bought white shoes when I last upgraded because I used to wear white track spikes (and I didn’t know any better). After one ride I realized how dirty white shoes get. Never again.

1 Like

Really unpopular opinion:

The ultimate bicycle for racing, riding far distances and comfort is a recumbent with a fairing! It’s way more aero and faster than what you’re riding today. And your body is in a more natural position.

7 Likes

I’ll maybe agree with your last two points but I’ll dust any recumbent on a course with corners.

Recumbents may have a faster top speed and be more efficient but bikes will always be more fun.

The only good Boa’s are the dual-action versions. Ratchets are far superior to the cheap Boas that only allow you to tighten by turning and then pop out to loosen.

1 Like

If you’re talking about three wheel recumbents, for sure. But there are two wheeled recumbents and I don’t think they are necessarily slower. That said, I’m not talking from experience there. I’ve only ridden a three wheeler.

I’ve got weird not-boas on my Northwave shoes that turn to tighten, have a little lever that ya push to loosen 1 click, and pulling the same lever let’s ya pull the string loose. I rather like the setup.

You mean the ones where you can release tension one click at a time? Yes! Only my S-Works have those, and I’d love for my other shoes to have those rather than the pull-to-release ones.

1 Like

Exactly. Pulling up on the dial to release all the tension, pushing the dial back in and then retightening is just dumb. The ones that allow you to turn one direction to tighten and turn the other to loosen are fine but only found on $$$$$ shoes.

1 Like

Agree with your flat pedals comment but it’s not worded controversially enough. How about:

Clipless pedals don’t belong on mountain bikes.

3 Likes

Low gearing is overrated. Just pedal harder.

In that same vein you’re not a “bad climber” you’re just slow. (I am too :slight_smile: )

8 Likes

SS and fixed gear are the best way to learn RPE/cadence/bike handling.

2 Likes

MTB is dominated by Enduro bros that want to turn EVERY trail into a gap jump.

14 Likes

This x 10000000. Or you could revise it slightly to be:

Everyone should use MTB pedals on all their bikes.

5 Likes