What are the current options for wide internal width aero wheels?

Surprised no one has mentioned Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3V. It is a more budget oriented carbon 30 mm deep/wide rim. It also has a pretty solid rear hub with more engagement than standard road hubs. Entire wheel set comes in around $1200-$1300 I think.

2 Likes

And @cjschmalz1,

If been reading the weightweenies forum about Hambini’s aero wheels test. And although there are some holes and maybe unsatisfying answers from Hambini. I feel that the overall consensus is that most of his answers are satisfying. Plus that he is doing this without any commercial reason behind it I give him the benefit of the doubt.

I prefer to believe his methodology and testing next to “marketing” talk from known rim manufacturers.

I’d go with campy WTOs - probably the 45s.

I’ve got the 60s and I love them.

I feel like his motivations are worse. From his vile behavior on the forums with other members of the community, it sounds like he is most interested in increasing his status. In my opinion it casts doubt on everything he says and I would not trust any of his results as his motivation is to be a contrarian and to thrust himself into the spotlight as the whistleblower. Therefore, it is in his best interest to give us false data that show some obscure wheelsets performing better than the $3k pair. Also throw in some really good performing $3k pairs to make it believable. That’s just my view on the matter and if I was thinking of coming up with something to boost my own ego, that’s what I would do to win some internet points.

Now what we do have to give him credit for is the concept of testing for transient flow detachment and reattachment. It sounds like it’s something they regularly test for in aeronautics and I would be very interested in seeing what the industry comes up with in the next 5 years based on this. As a quote from the might Josh…

It also points to the challenges we have with current testing, something Dan has pointed out here… most companies continue to test at finite yaw angles in the tunnel starting at zero and yawing outward… this gives good and generally repeatable numbers but doesn’t account for the hysteresis of flow detachment and reattachment. This was something I really liked about what the Hambini people were trying to do… clearly any test is going to have it’s flaws and biases, but something like the Hambini test regime is going to lead to better designed with higher angles of flow reattachment and most likely better flow control on both front and rear wheel halves.

Source: Josh and Slowman Debate Cp and Handling (Page 2): Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums

(if you want to see what a civil disagreement between titans of industry looks like, this is the thread :upside_down_face:)

OOooh nice! Do you use that on the road too?

I went with a set of November All Road 50s as my wide internal aero wheels for road. My entire bike purchase revolved around the concept of wheels like the Enve 4.5ARs and after riding on these wide rims for a while now, I couldn’t be happier. I’m really interested to hear your experience with the Enves.

1 Like