Weight gain and carbs

Fair play, but I’m dusking asking here for some independent validation. So past weight history;

I’m 47. Up to the age of 25 I played Rugby and was a more muscular 190 lbs whilst I was busy bulking up. After I stopped due to injury, I started cycling on a recreational basis and eating a “normal” diet and reduced to 175lbs, which I maintened until about the age of 44 which coincides to when I joined a cycling club and hear the mantra regarding w/KG. I’m not a particularly powerful rider and am more endurance and TT based profile - so I struggle with power on climbs.

So, at 44 I started the 1800 cals diet which was net cals - so total Calories plus exercise = 1800 using MyFitnesspal including measurement food weight.

Mid last year as I upped my training, it was suggested I get more carbs in to support development and protect my immune system - about 250g on a non training day, about 450 on a 1hr-90min training day and up to 650 (very challenging!) to load pre XC Marathon.

Maybe as you say, the answer is to reduce cals but increase carbs. Yes my apologies I meant NET not GROSS!