Wattbike Atom ERG mode problem

That’s an interesting solution, thanks. Will try that out. So you ever get drop outs/ clashes?

Nope never. I run multiple things too…I have my phone connected, iPad…maybe a other iPad too sometimes. WiFi plugs running.
It’s never dropped out once.

I have Spencer +1 coming up tomorrow. I might have to try that through my CABLE. My v1 won’t react fast enough for those short efforts. Does the v2 react quicker to these types of workouts?

Yes much quicker…5 seconds max. I used to have a V1 and it’s far quicker on the shorter ones.

I don’t know if the cable will work in exactly the same way as I think it sends controllable data over so it may stay in erg?

I didn’t try it in the end. I just set the level to 110%.

1 Like

I am toying with the idea of moving to a smart bike. Has there been further improvements in ERG mode on the Wattbike over the summer?

Hi there! Many of the ERG issues that Wattbike users experience with TrainerRoad are due to device settings and needed firmware updates, not things that can be controlled by TrainerRoad unfortunately (but the team at support@trainerroad.com is always available to help walk you through mitigating ERG issues and checking for firmware updates!).
Unsure if Wattbike has made changes/improvements in newer models? Worth looking into some reviews for sure!

yes, sorry, I should have been more precise in my question - I meant if Wattbike firmware updates had fixed the ERG issues. They are not specific to TR - same issue on other platforms in ERG mode.

1 Like

Not strictly true Ivy, TR could allow the Atom to connect & allow for the gearing to work on the device rather than try to restrict it to erg only…

This has been called out to TR for probably the best part of 2 years and why I didn’t extend my TR usage. I spoke with support, they advised they weren’t implementing a fix.

Other suppliers (Zwift) will let me undertake a workout with resistance provided by erg or gears at the click of a button - heck the wattbike hub has a button on the shifter to turn erg on or off or even increase / decrease watts from the shifter.

TR could implement these features, they choose not to…

Edit - to answer the query, Wattbike have pretty much fixed the erg issue… still not perfect, but much improved.

4 Likes

Completely agree with the above comment.
Wattbike have vastly improved the erg but TR don’t allow us to toggle erg on or off when using the wattbike.
Every other platform allows this.
I also highlighted it sometime in the last.

1 Like

@IvyAudrain
Will TR be updating their software to enable ERG mode to be toggled on/off when using a Wattbike.
If not, why not.

1 Like

I believe that’s a limitation with Wattbike that we aren’t able to override, will look into this with the team though to see if it’s possible, and what it would look like to put this on the roadmap eventually if possible.

1 Like

Would you recommend the wattbike atom to TR users now?

I have a similar issue with my Kurt Kinetic Smart trainer. ERG mode works great but put it into resistance mode (on TR) and the resistance goes up so high it’s impossible to turn the pedals. TR support have been great but at responding but they say it’s a firmware problem (a decimal point being in the wrong place) that they can’t fix, yet it works fine in Zwift in sim mode and also using Kurt Kinetic’s own app in resistance mode.

If wattbike can do it via their hub, Zwift can do it via the client or app, and others can do it… Im guessing TR can aswell and its not a Atom limitation.

Im sorry but in my book thats quite a poor response and disappointing @IvyAudrain.

It was raised on this very forum & with your support staff over 2 years ago so to now be saying TR need to investigate this now is disappointing - What happened when it was raised all that time ago with the support staff?

2 Likes

I would recommend it as a device - Im going to tip toe around the specific TR usage as I simply stopped using TR due to the issues mentioned above. Its great for Zwift, RGT etc…
I had to jump through hoops of copying workouts into TrainingPeaks, then doing those works out in Zwift so as to have full control over the device rather than use the TR app\client - It got to the point where it wasnt worth the hassle and I cancelled my membership.

1 Like

Sorry for the miscommunication, I myself am catching up on this issue and my intention was to express that I would be investigating with our team internally to see where we are at with this issue. I think the ‘fix’ for this is likely not a simple yes or no with some limitations, so I’ll gather as much information as I can from our engineers and provide an update if anything has changed!

To speak better to our incorporation of features if possible, its important to express that the development team is hustling on some higher priority issues, such as incorporating unstructured rides into Adaptive Training and refining Adaptive Training as a whole.
I definitely hear you that it’s frustrating that we don’t have a toggle ERG on/off option for Wattbike yet. It’s not that the team doesn’t think that Wattbike user experience is important, I just wanted to clarify that we are prioritizing updates that are the most effective at helping the greatest number of athletes possible get faster in the immediate future. Thanks for your patience!

Following up: even after the Wattbike Atom’s updates, ERG mode and ‘gear’ mode are still the only two options for the device. That ‘gear mode’ is akin to Resistance mode, but the implementation isn’t the same. In other words, athletes couldn’t just enable Resistance mode in TR and gear mode on the atom and get the right experience.

The team let me know that we’ve reached out to Wattbike numerous times to facilitate/implement their gear mode but, unfortunately, haven’t heard back from them. Apologies that we don’t have a better update at this time. We’d love to incorporate this in the future!

Do you have an Atom on site or have any of your staff ever used one?

I get the impression this is a mis communication and things are getting lost in translation.

It leaves me very much confused in that both the WB hub & zwift will allow this function but TR can’t…

As I said perhaps it’s terminology, but you would need to make the TR client either control erg, or be passive… not switch to resistance as the end user would control the resistance via the Atom. TR would only hopefully show the gear selection.

If the ERG mode is largely fixed thanks to Wattbike’s efforts, why would you ever need to not be in erg mode on Trainerroad, unless you are doing a 8 or 20 min FTP test.