Want comfortable road bike!

Trying to find the best comfort road bike? I’m not looking for a race bike, but instead a bike I can ride for long distances with friends etc. My height is about 5’6". Can you suggest to me the best comfortable road bike?

Too many to list.

Advice: do a bit of google searching for endurance oriented road bikes. Find a couple in your budget, and available by either a local bike shop or an online purchase….and then…

Spend the money on a professional bike fit. Don’t skimp on this part, it’s the most important.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Agree with the above poster. Additionally, if you look for geometry bike companies call “endurance” then that generally has a more slack/less aggressive position meant for better comfort. That said, most important is to get a good fit.

Dear Oblewis, Thanks for your suggestions. I searched on google and found some blog about comfortable bikes. Can you recommend me which bike will be perfect for me?

Ref.

1. https://www.amazon.com/Royce-Union-21-Speed-Aluminum-Metallic/dp/B07CCZXBJN/
    2.https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Comfort-Aluminum-21-Speed-Shifters/dp/B01NC38SKG/
    3.> Gearbikesreview

Thanks

Agree with this.

I’d also add that running wider tires at lower pressures also helps take out the “road buzz” which can be fatiguing and uncomfortable as distances increase. Look for a bike that will comfortably run 30-32mm wide tires.

1 Like

Came here to say just this. The same roads feel so much smoother on my 32s than on my 28s and on the longer rides there’s much less upper body fatigue.

These are not road bikes.

3 Likes

The budget endurance road bike market has been cannibalized by gravel bikes, and probably for good reason. Tires really drive comfort, bigger tires = more comfy.

2 Likes

Whats your budget? Where do you live? Do you have access to a bike shop (Walmart does not count)? Do you ride now? What do you consider long distances? The Amazon links you provided are not road bikes, fyi.

1 Like

My buddy just picked up a new Cervelo Soloist and he loves it! He had a Scott Foil and was tired of the harsh feedback and race style position for that aero bike. Could be an option to look at for you. Good luck!

Trek Domane solid option.

4 Likes

Peter Weigle Randonneur on 700x38c

The most comfortable road bike I’ve ever been on is the Specialized Roubaix.

The FutureShock really takes out all the buzz, lots of flex in seat post as well.

Also, pretty forgiving geometry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As said above, 32mm tyres totally trump any other aspect. Find a riding position that feels nicely balanced between all your contact points. This takes a while so keep adjusting until the bike feels like home.

Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, somewhat drab looking but just as comfortable, very similarly identically specced . I wanted to get the Spesh but no stocks where I am.

1 Like

Don’t buy a bike on Amazon. I’ve never heard of any of the bike brands in the links you’ve provided. Appears you’re in the market for a hybrid not a road bike?

3 Likes

I second the Defy. My daily bike is Giant TCR; however, now that my daughter is off to college, I’ve taken her Defy out a few times. Very comfortable ride with tubeless set up and 28mm tires at lower pressure. It’s got me rethinking my decisions.

I got a Domane early this year and it’s the most comfortable fast road bike I’ve ever ridden. It’s still not as comfortable as my Surly Midnight Special, which isn’t surprising as those 47mm tires are so plush. But that is a bike that will have a harder time keeping up with friends if they are strong riders and have more spry bikes.

IMHO you should go to various bike shops and try to test ride a bunch of them. You would think that the obvious answer is an endurance road bike, but I don’t think this is necessarily the right answer. For example, my aggressive aero road bike feels way more comfortable and fun than my previous endurance road bike. (I got professional fits with both, fit was not the issue.) There is no one-size-fits-all. Case in point, personally I hated Trek’s Domane, I thought it provided no feedback, it was not fun and just didn’t get along with it. But on the other hand, plenty of people here and around the world love it. And neither they nor I are wrong, just different preferences.

Another thing is whether you wouldn’t want a gravel bike instead. If speed is not an issue, having a bike that accepts e. g. 35 mm slicks or something with a little bit of tread (e. g. Schwalbe’s G-One Allround or G-One Speed) would probably be more fun. If the tarmac ends and the fire road starts, you wouldn’t have to turn around. And even on the road you will be more comfortable on a bike with wider tires.

Lastly, before you buy, get a professional bike fit. Fit >> components.

Giant Defy is my bike and very comfortable. Running 28 mm clinchers. The new Defy has very wide tire clearance and I am sure you can move up to 32 or more on this bike for added comfort, light gravel.