W/kg at high endurance pace/upper Z2/first lactate turn point?

I know i know… I was just curious

The end of this article Zone 2 Training to Improve Aerobic Endurance and Fat Burning - CTS gives some general guidelines and considerations for fueling during zone2 workouts.

2 Likes

0-100g/h depending on context

ok hehe never mind

Happy to provide my personal experience as long as no one yells at me :slight_smile: We’re talking about fueling after all LOL. I never do any RCA training.

Example:
Two hour endurance ride: 1 banana or toast prior to or during warm-up. 1 scoop of Skratch per 1L bottle (mostly for taste). Afterwards usual breakfast (same as I would eat on non-training day).

Two hour low-tempo ride: same, although I might eat a little more at breakfast afterward

I’m a larger rider…77-78kg

1 Like

@sryke, thanks for clarifying. I’d misunderstood. Do you have a sense of your own ratio of power at/just below first lactate turn point to FTP?

Beyond the data posted you can always use the simple math of using W/kg at FTP and actual zone2 power. If someone is 4W/kg at FTP, then an upper zone 2 ride of say .74 IF is about 3W/kg (4W/kg * .74 IF).

No, I don’t test for FTP or any of the other second thresholds. Personally, I see no value in knowing this value. Of course, I can guess where it may be but this is a pretty wide range.

1 Like

Pretty much this. My FTP (average of tested and clever estimates) is around 285W. My five hour power is around 194W or 68%. I’ve not many data points for rides of that length with a power meter so there could well be some error in that figure. Going on RPE or the “stick a wet thumb in the air” method of “Can I talk?” then that feels about right and I am certain that I could maintain a slightly lower figure, at a guess 60%, for 18hrs or so.

A couple of years ago I remember seeing an article where they had tried to see what power output a human could produce “indefinitely”. The limiting factor turned out to be food in that over an extended period, they were looking at weeks to months here, then somewhere around 10,000 kCal per day was the limit of what the human digestive system could absorb. You can eat more than that for short periods but not for a month. Depending on your weight, that worked out at about 1W/Kg.

I’ve been looking at this with a different question: what does it take to be competitive for Unbound 200? That is a long ride, and thus performance is determined by LT1. Edit: I found 4th-place amateur at 2.99 W/kg avg for 10 hours, 45 minutes.

So you say I can ride recovery 192 watts for a couple of hours and be close to podium? Nice! :wink: