VO2max Struggles

I took a rest after the last VO2 block and then hit it again. I thought I’d try a new strategy - micro sets.

I started off with a set of one interval (1x5min). Power is coming in on average around 122-125% of FTP. I rode endurance for 4 days and then did another single interval. I waited another 3 days and then did another.

I like this strategy. Riding at 125% and a high percentage of HRmax feels rather easy now. I don’t mean easy as in I’m holding back but just that there is not mental block into settling in at that pace/power. I can just do it.

After another 3-4 days I did 2x5 minutes. That felt good and not any more fatiguing than 1x5.

3-4 days later I did 2x5 and 1x3. I was just feeling tired at the last interval and threw in the towel.

On that last set I broke 90 day 3-4 minute power PRs and got a bump in mFTP and a bigger bump in eFTP on icu.

My PDC now has a bump in it at 3-5 minutes. WKO wants me to test at 30 seconds, 9 minutes, and 45 minutes. I might make my next workout a WKO seeding test. I also need to do another proper FTP test which can cover WKOs 45 minute duration.

1 Like