VO2 intervals and current ftp

Hey Guys,

Quick question, I started LDT build last week; the ramp test had me down 7w, but I figured that was because I was on the backend of recovering from a cold. So I decided to leave my ftp at the previous level instead of lowering it.

I had my first VO2 max session today, and could not complete it. I managed 2 out of the 3 sets before I had to call it quits. Sweetspot generally feels ok to me, I can complete rides like Gibraltar +1 which is 1h45 at sweetspot, Im tired at the end, but I dont crash out.

My question is, should I lower my ftp to my ramp test result last week, or persist at the higher level?

Thanks,
Shane

If you’re sweetspot sessions are okay. Just drop the VO2max sessions to 115% and try that. Don’t adjust your ftp.

1 Like

In my opinion, if you are recovering and also haven’t done VO2 intervals in a while, completing 2 out of 3 is pretty good. I think these workouts are designed to just about bring you on your knees. I wouldn’t change FTP, it will get easier as you do more of them.

3 Likes

@GeorgeAnderson & @nordic Thanks for the input fellas, I was feeling really bummed after my ride this morning. Ill keep at it, overs and unders this weekend, yaaay… not! :sob:

1 Like