VO2 115% 2min30s interval - out of saddle

Try Ericsson, where you are encouraged to hit some of the intervals at higher than usual cadence.
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/1639

Ericsson is below threshold. According to @kurt.braeckel, Iā€™m looking for over threshold with long rests.

1 Like

Thereā€™s nothing targeting 3 min max power because that specific number has limited utility. If I built one, itā€™d look like Charing or Detling, except with three minute intervals and longer recoveries. 9 to 15 min between them to allow for full recovery, and Iā€™d tell you to fuel up sugar.

In practical terms, because a 3 minute effort becomes largely aerobic, if you raise your MAP, itā€™ll raise your max possible 3min power too in kinda the same manner that sweet spot work raises FTP. So anything like Spencer +2 and Kaiser type workouts will get you close. And again the best way to make those repeated efforts primarily aerobic is to perform them at a higher cadence.

1 Like

So, Iā€™ve got Dade +5 coming up as my VO2Max next week. Youā€™re saying I am better off doing it inside at a higher cadence vs outside, with a cadence that eventually lowers and requires OOS, to maximize adaptation, correct?

Workout Creator. :+1:

1 Like

In my opinion, yes. Aim for a high cadence for you, say 95-100, and sustain that as long as you can.

1 Like

did yesterday Elephants +5ā€¦ and played with power vs rpmā€¦ started grindingā€¦ (80rpm) with higher powerā€¦ and legs got wastedā€¦ it made follow efforts harderā€¦ reduced power and placed higher rpmā€¦(90)ā€¦ it worked fineā€¦ i have little experiencieā€¦did some in June around 100rpmā€¦ but my legs got so much tensionā€¦ i think i found the ideaā€¦ about my 2-3min V02 WO, i will try them in slope modeā€¦and see where my power sitsā€¦ i think my ftp is like 90-95% of V02ā€¦so 120% ftp for me is way ofā€¦ as alwaysā€¦every person is diferrentā€¦we cant use the same WO for everybodyā€¦

I donā€™t think Iā€™d classify Elephants +5 as true VO2max work. 7 min at 105% is more like threshold, and thatā€™s how I would approach that workout - self selected cadence, focus on your breathing and just survive. I wouldnā€™t equate what we are talking about in this thread with that specific workout, and I wouldnā€™t judge your FTP as relates to max aerobic power off of that kind of work.