Virtual Power - Power Display Issues when using "Cadence Only" PM Option

I’m using Virtual Power as I only have a ‘dumb’ trainer and my usual indoor (beater) bike does not have a PM. However, for the next few weeks i’m doing a few workouts on my ‘outdoor’ bike (which has a Stages crank-based PM) as i’ve just had a bike fit and i’m evaluating the new position.

Here’s my problem - I’m continuing to use VP for consistency (there’s a 29-30W difference between VP and my PM) but I still want to use the “Cadence Only” option for the PM so I get cadence displayed. However, when I check this option I get cadence readings :+1: but then no (virtual) power displayed :-1:

In a nutshell, VP will not display if the PM is paired, even when set to “cadence only”.
Is this a bug or can I do something to get PM-based cadence while still using Virtual Power?
Thanks in advance.

Sorry to ask a silly question, but I have to assume you have a speed sensor on your ‘outdoor’ bike and it is paired up ok? Interesting problem.

I haven’t personally used VP with the cadence only option, but I do use cadence only at times when I happen to have multiple power meters connected (and it seems to work ok in that situation).

Yep, I add the speed sensor to the outdoor bike when I use it indoors.
Everything pairs up ok - (HR strap, speed sensor, PM (with cadence), but if I tell the TR app to use the PM “cadence only” option it displays cadence ok, but drops the Virtual Power watts, all I see is " - - ".

In a nutshell, VP will not display if the PM is paired, even when set to “cadence only” (i’ll add this line to the first post).

I’d report this directly to support@trainerroad.com so they can review it.

1 Like

Thanks Chad!

1 Like