Video of my chain slipping off while sprinting today

@Nate_Pearson What type of front ring are you running? I’ve had some issues recently with shimano and third party front rings. I too dumped a chain to the outside mid 1300w spring at 60+km/h more than once. I worked with mechanic and we are now running a SRAM red front ring. Even with the di2 trimmed all the way in it was still hopping off. After trial and error with a few tweaks we surmised it must be the ring/bb flexiing just enough to let the chain hop off in 53-11. Since making the change no more issues and can change gears under full load as per pic below. All of the were above 1300w basically.

I would also check for burrs or bent teeth on the chainring. I had a couple of burrs on my large chainring that would partially lift up the links. I could hear and see the chain jumping a little every revolution of the cranks. I filed off the burr and everything was fine. BTW- I think that the burrs arrived when I dropped the crank during servicing.

1 Like

I’d also point towards the front chain ring - on some of the…more flexible front chain rings it is fairly easy to throw the chain in the 52 or 53/11 combo. Start at a slow speed and low cadence in that gear and put out maybe 450-500 watts and you can throw the chain. Obviously you can also do this at speed in a high cadence, but it’s a safer way to test if the front chain ring is the culprit

That save though…

It was low. We were doing low cadence/high force spin ups. Next time I will do those from a smaller gear and lower speed!!

I’m using Praxis rings with a YBN chain. I’m going to switch to a Dura-ace chain.

Praxis is known for being really stiff, so that’s a bummer if it’s the chain ring.

Great tip, I will check it out.

I should try this on the trainer to see if I can get it to happen again (after I make a change, like new chainring or different chain). Worse case is a banged up knee.

Mystery solved. I definitely have a slight 1mm bend in my front chain ring.

I have Praxis chain rings on Specialized cranks. I haven’t crashed or anything and the chain ring is pretty new. The question is did I bend it during the ride or was it bent before?

2 Likes

Here it is at full speed

Not a bad idea, but you do have some variable there with how the backend of the bike is secured. It’s probably a good first test, but it doesn’t prove it won’t be a problem outside. Doing it at a low cadence, high force combo outside is relatively safe and a way to test that flex

Well held @Nate_Pearson

I’m sure @Jonathan’s tip to “stay up” helped a lot :wink:

9 Likes

I didn’t think of it until he said it :smile:.

2 Likes

How many watts?
Nate: all of the watts

2 Likes

That is a lot scarier in full speed than in slow motion. I think my heart sank twice watching those two videos.

1 Like

Saw this on Jonathan’s Instagram… glad you kept it upright Nate!! :+1:

Something I’ve been doing in training that’s helped me identify drivetrain related issues and feel more confident in my equipment sprinting is standing starts. Big ring in the front, pop it in the 13 in the back and sprint full gas from a complete stop. You should hear or notice anything that’s not right before you really get on top of the gear. I would start with a controlled effort first to be sure

1 Like

That’s a great idea. If it does pop you’re not going fast so it won’t hurt as much.

Respect for catching that…
How fast where you going?
A reason for that kind of chain slip could also be a loose derailleur hanger.
My chain also slipped in the end of April. Cost me the joints of two fingers…

Ouch!!!

I think I started at 20 mph

Glad you saved that!
Seems like we have similar handling skills :wink: I slipped out of my pedal this week, destroyed my leg with the big ring but didn’t crashed into the car coming along on the other side of the road;-)

1 Like

Omg! What pedal? Why did it come out?

Glad to hear you’re okay!