Vasectomy... recovery?

Similar thing happened to me, but on the initial incision. My wife could hear my yelp from the waiting room. TBH it was more the shock of feeling pain than the pain itself.

Also little secret tipā€¦ Female panty liners are fantastic for keeping your wound clean and preventing it from sticking to the inside of your shorts/boxers/briefs.

ā€œBecause I was told toā€ ha!

Iā€™m post snip here. I asked at the time and was told two weeks. I was fully recovered after a week but didnā€™t do anything about 50% FTP the week after because of a friend who went back to the gym three days after his and had HORRIFIC swelling and pain. Added a painful couple weeks to his recovery. Moral of the story: Donā€™t push it. Enjoy the break with a bag of ice.

Iā€™d avoid jumping jacks for the next little while

This is easily the greatest (to this point) moment in the history of the TR forum :wink:

You canā€™t pay for insights like this!! Amazingā€¦

13 Likes

My doctor told me one to two weeks off, but after a friend had a terrible swelling/pain incident when going back to the trainer after one week, I went two, and took it a bit easy at first. It was fine, and totally donā€™t regret the decision.

I was back on the Trainer after 5 Days doing light workouts. As soon as I left the docs I took some anti inflammatory tablets and placed frozen peas down my pants.

One tip I can share is place the frozen peas in a rubber glove and part fill. That way you can place the main load of Peas direct to the area and use the fingers of the glove which should be moveable as being part filled to surround other parts :wink:

Have you looked into the no needle method (google it)? The recovery is much faster and less painful. The doctor told me 2 weeks off the bike (and hard training) after which he said go for Ironman training should you wish. Once the 2 weeks were up I do not recall any pain or discomfort even on the stationary trainer at home. Hopefully this helps with the time line.

Oh and as for the ice, under the no needle methodā€¦it was no more than 24 hours. You walk/drive home after the procedure and are pretty mobile albeit feeling a little funny

The main reason to take it easy for a few days is to avoid bleeding or bursting a small vessel under the skin which could cause a hematoma. After a few days that risk will subside.

Ice packs/frozens peas are helpful to reduce swelling, but always wrap them in a towel so you donā€™t accidentally freeze your skin. Keeping the scrotum elevated helps too.

One other tip for boxer wearersā€¦ consider tighter underwear for the post-op period to hold things in place a bit better.

Agree with Nate that getting back in the saddle after a few days should be safe if you are otherwise doing well. But I would keep the workouts seated and avoid big out of the saddle sprint efforts. Everyone is different though, so always listen to your body.

3 Likes

@Nate_Pearson I know that pain. Same thing happened to meā€¦and I passed out after flopping around like a fish. Afterwards, I found out he told the nurse I didnā€™t need more anesthetic because I was passed out so he just kept going

2 Likes

I just watched the video. Wish I had not done that.

And Nate worries about his insurance in finding the best folks for his sickness issues.

1 Like

Take the time to recover completely. I didnā€™tā€¦ developed an infectionā€¦ and almost had to go into surgery. This is may be the ONE time to totally follow doctorā€™s orders and stay off the bike.

Swollen and infected baā€¦ bits are NOT fun.

1 Like

That is an amazing suggestion! Getting this done in a couple weeks, I will need to find an icepack that fits my strap!

I was running the next day on mine, think it was a few days before i got on the bike though, maybe a week?

I played cricket back in the day and a still had a jockstrap with a pocket for the box :grinning::open_mouth:

I think my hockey boxer briefs have that. Ug, this sounds worse and worse.

Had mine done under local. Two days on the sofa watching TV then back to work. Think I played five a side football after a week.

I think us men can turn it into a bigger deal than it is

1 Like

I was a touch sore for 1 day after. nothng after that. Donā€™t recall what I did about training except I did it during my down time.

Nothing is ever as bad ā€¦ or good ā€¦ as easy ā€¦ or hard as they say it is.