Value competitors to Canyon Grail

Good point. He was talking about 1x with a dropper, which made me think that’s what the Grizl was designed for. But I see now they have 2x with high posts too. Geometry is nearly the same. I don’t really get why there are two models!

Only thing I see now is the $2000 Grail 7 (aluminum) weighs the same as the $3200 Grizl CF 8. So I guess the main difference is frame weight.

Why can’t you compare them? The components are the same, as all of them buy from Shimano/Sram etc. You can argue about frame quality, but that’s actually quite hard to quantify. I haven’t had any issues with my cheaper frames, but quite a few of my mates had issues (like problems with cable routing or wonky BB shells) with their big brand frames.

But if you’re happy to pay more for a bit of lettering on the downtube, go for it.

I personally do buy bikes with long standing reputations. Sure I might pay more but I can’t find myself spending x$ for some brand I never heard of.

(post deleted by author)

Believe he was negative on the one-bike to rule them all aspect of the bike, check the comment section for opposite opinion. I like the 3T Exploro RaceMax.

For an alternate point-of-view checkout this review:

Picked up this magazine while in Palm Springs earlier this year, they are positive about the road+gravel aspects of Exploro RaceMax:

One note: to run big tires on Exploro RaceMax you need to run 650b wheels. Someone posted above the config options, thats why I went Exploro over Aspero.

Anyways it is an option although US pricing starts at $4200. Aspero starts around $3000.

1 Like

Makes sense. I’m all in for GRX 2x so Aspero has what I need. I think what it came down to primarily is my LBS is a Cervelo dealer. I haven’t bought a bike from them yet and really want to, since I like the shop a lot.

Giant seems to be competitive on price. Cannondale, Trek and Specialized aren’t really competitors. A setup similar to Canyon costs considerably more.

Disclaimer: European perspective.

You’re about right. Canyon and Giant usually win on bang for the buck. They’re also probably tops on general frame quality.

1 Like

Since this thread is back from the dead: Fezzari Shafer definitely deserves a mention