Canyon launches Grizl gravel bike

Canyon just launched the Grizl that is complementing the Grail in their gravel range.

The idea seems to be wider tires (45mm standard, up to 50mm), more capacity to carry luggage and Dropper Post ready!
The current models are carbon but alu is planned for release.

Any thoughts?

News links about the new model

This is the gravel bike that most folks should use in the PNW. The “gravel” FS roads are really all better experienced on an XC MTB, or something like this bike.

1 Like

Sorry, what is a PNW?

1 Like

Pacific North West

4 Likes

Am I the only one who hates the paint? It’s like they painted them to be dirty. Trust me…I have no issues getting my gravel bike dirty!!!

2 Likes

Clarifying… “if you’re choosing between the two Canyon gravel bikes”

Lots of great gravel bikes out there these days, but the pictures of the gravel roads I see from all over the country look nothing like the gravel roads I end up riding on. They’re always so dreamy smooth and have nice little rolling hills in the background. PNW gravel has big chunk rock, huge potholes, huge stutter bumps, etc. Same story in the mountains of Virginia.

My experience with AZ and UT gravel is that it’s sandy and wide tires huge for speed and control.

I laugh when I hear folks talk about running 28-34mm tires for gravel… like where are these pristine gravel roads you ride on?!

I think a lot of folks are going to be or already have purchased fancy aero gravel bikes designed for racing gravel roads that don’t exist in their area, then selling them for either gravel bikes like this new Canyon, or XC MTB.

Gravel bikes were a great gateway drug for me to get back into MTB. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

why is the 1x more expensive than the 2x??

the 1x gets GRX 800 levers instead of 600 on the 2x. and nicer rotors and Ultegra level chain vs 105. the 1x also gets a dropper post vs the 2x, solid unit.

2 Likes

My recent gravel ride…
4316bd944603fd47261e0f1ca7c80f55.0
48309e97c40d0f44f6fe32b369c226e7.0

2 Likes

The Cycling Tips review said that Canyon hinted to some upcoming change in spec for the Grizl 1x models in a few months, seems like maybe a new groupset. So presumably the higher price could be related to avoiding a later price hike when that happens

1 Like

So it’s basically a Trek Checkpoint? Seems like a continuation of killing Endurance (32c) bikes, moving gravel more offroad into adventure, and sliding “Race” All Road (shorter headtube; 38-40c) bikes in there. I see Canyon merging the Endurance and the Grail. CX bikes will move to a single build.

This is similar to a modern fullsize SUV (Explorer, Highlander, etc); it’s a minivan, but not a minivan. They made a bikebacking / touring bike thats not a “bike pakcing / Touring bike”. Marketing this thing with 45-50c tires without a suspension fork is kinda silly, as you’re going to fall on your face as soon as you hit a reasonable size stick or rock, so it’s not a xc/trail bike by any means. I put 50c tires on my Checkpoint sometimes, but that’s just for occasional mud, rough trail, sand, etc. I think the Grail can do 45c tires, so I don’t see what this does that the Grail can’t do.

1 Like

Kinda, the CP maxes at 45mm tire width.

Something like the Salsa Warbird or Cutthroat are closer to the Grizl for tire and packing ability.

Hello fellow southern ontarian.

I’ve been thinking about gravel but can’t justify buying one due to the same reasons as MTB. Needing to drive long distances to find good lenthy routes of quality gravel. It’s good to know we have this “nice quality” in the area though…i’ll use those road on my adventure motorcycle lol

I like just getting out the door on my bike and going for a ride lol.

1 Like

My experience with PNW gravel is similar but there are a lot of good fire roads to ride that are pretty fun despite the bumps and ruts. It’s the steep climbs around the Cascades that can be brutal without the right gearing. Not unusual to see sustained climbs above 15% with steeper pitches along the way, 1:1 climbing gear doesn’t always get it done.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s it. They already offer Ekar on this bike for Europe. The author was talking about how Shimano 1x systems aren’t great for gearing range and when he asked Canyon about it he was told that there might be another 1x option ina few months.

So I interpreted it to mean there’s a new 1x group coming from Shimano, probably a wide range 1x12 or 13 group. There’s no reason to be coy about making Ekar available on the US models, not when there’s a bike shortage.

1 Like

I’m guessing they’ll put the (yet to be released) fox gravel fork that Kabush leaked on upcoming builds. They note suspension fork compatibility on the website, and the straight section on the downtube right behind the head tube looks like it’ll clear the reverse arch on the new fork.

1 Like

But the question was specifically about why only offer the small range Shimano for the 1x build in the US. Any fork change is unrelated to the question.

Also, frames have to be designed to be suspension corrected. I don’t know if this one is, but I think the astute CT author would have pointed to that with a wink if it were.

Edit: I see you said it is suspension corrected already. Still has nothing to do with 1x gearing range

Just having some fun speculating!

No sir, the CP will tuck 29 x 50c with 4mm+ clearance per side with the rear adjuster full forward. I tried 54c MTB tires, but it was like 2.5mm/side on my rims. Trek quotes the smallest size and the limit is toe overlap - which is why I sold my 29 50c and got 27.5 50c…it was sketchy every now and then. Imgur: The magic of the Internet