Using TR for a while but not progressing.... but why?!

Totally agree. If never failed a workout…then workouts not hard enough! I’d do as suggested here…or try a different ftp test procedure (e.g. kolie moore one - search on forum)

1 Like

I agree with that too, it sounds like under-testing and a lower than necessary FTP. This would cause training levels at only 2-3 times a week be maintenance at best.

Workouts regularly kick my ass, like OMG I’m gonna die kick my ass :grin:

If your getting through your current workouts maybe try a different testing method. My years been the same regarding Ftp mostly down a little up and pretty much back where I started. Had a mounth off from trainning tried the 20min test a gained 3watts not alot but going in the right direction aleast.

Well it seems like a different FTP test is the way forward or the manual adjustment. One of the reasons to dislike the ramp test is that if you need a goal to aim at then you are going blind . Would be good to know where you have to get to in order to secure a 5% gain for example.
Well search the Kolie one you mentioned.

| RobertSims
October 13 |

• | - |

mattonabike:

If you have never failed a workout I dont think you are going deep enough in the ramp test. That is resulting in all your training being too easy and limiting progress. The hardest workouts in the hardest weeks should be just doable, not easily finished. If you dont ever have a day where sleep/life/food/sickness made you fail a workout then your workouts are way to easy. If you really cant get yourself to go quite a lot deeper in the ramp test, I would go ahead and push your ftp up manually till you start failing some workouts then back it off 5% and see if you dont start making progress again with stuff hard enough.

Totally agree. If never failed a workout…then workouts not hard enough! I’d do as suggested here…or try a different ftp test procedure (e.g. kolie moore one - search on forum)

What they said but also 3 hours a week is hardly anything to build/maintain endurance fitness.

But, it depends on your goals. Maybe 3 hours per week is enough to keep some fitness and ride with friends on the weekends. You just have to decide what the goals are.

If you want to get faster you need to think volume and consistency. Do extra long endurance rides outside when you have a chance.

Just been reading a bit on Kolie Moore FTP test. Seems to make a lot of sense. Not sure if I can do it via TR though in order to get the output, should I be able to create that as a workout and then do it in ERG mode?

Can either create workout using custom builder…or just do a free ride…or join TR group (name is on the other thread, gold i think it is, and all workouts already made!)

The ramp test is predictable, and you can always see your current “live FTP” during the test, too. In order to break even with your current FTP, you have to make it to the 19:30 mark. Once you’re past that, you’re increasing your FTP result. For a 5% increase, let’s see… ramp test calculates FTP based on 75% of your best one minute power. With a current FTP of 188, a 5% increase would bring it to 197.4W, which would mean a one minute average best power of 197.4/0.75, or 263.2W.

I think you might not be digging deep enough on the ramp test, or, as others have suggested, need to test using a different method. I see a workout from August 15 with an hour at FTP except for a few short breaks. That should have been absolutely brutal, so if it was easily finished, your FTP is set too low. Adding a heart rate strap to get HR as a metric would be helpful, too.

Thanks, very much easier for me!

Blockquote“live FTP”

In the IOS app? I never see that :thinking:

Doh, I always used my laptop when I did the ramp test, where the Live FTP is available. It should be coming soon on the mobile app though: Feature request: live FTP during ramp tests - #79 by dubrose40

1 Like

I never thought of that! Thanks!
I will try it but first thinking on how it will not limit me :smiley:

There should be a non negligible % of TR users that despite plan adherence over meaningful time don’t see progress, It’s normal. The problem is believing that this platform and the plan builder have the solutions for everybody in every situation in a static manner. Once you take control of your own process, you have to use the basic principles to adapt your plan according to your restrictions, goals, etc.

The other wrinkle is that, just like with personal finances, once you take control and improve your understanding of the process and the requirements of your own situation, you don’t need TR Plans or a financial advisor. H