True or False: No threshold work I do today is going to help me at the race this weekend

YMMV, but I tend to race better fatigued. As in I race better at week 3 of a Build week as opposed to the end of a recovery week :person_shrugging:t4:. So my anecdotal evidence over the past 5 years of racing is that I can’t be too fresh.

2 Likes

Ha! Yes! It’s tough to power a study that much, though.

You may not recall when I was futzing around with the ‘day of MCT upregulation’ based on Green’s paper. In that paper they saw MATERIAL upregulation of monocarboxylate & glucose transporters w/in hours of training stimulus. So you could at least hypothesize that adaptation could happen in days…but I think that hypothesis goes of the rails if you instead first train the subjects for ~20 weeks and then do the Green MCT/GLUT upregulation protocol.

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpregu.00699.2007

1 Like

3 × 5 :heavy_check_mark:
3 × 25 :x:

:grin:

2 Likes

I doubt it will impact the Race negatively, there is enough time to recover fine, if it helps you psychologically I d probably do it if it’s your most important race of the season maybe don’t do the hardest workout you can think about. I probably would prefer to do some Harder Anerobic or VO2 max style efforts, because I need to get used to that feeling more personally

Just a local race that I’ve wanted to do since 2015 and never got around to it. Looks like it’s going to be an opportunity to explore the limits of hypothermia.

1 Like