Training with poor air quality. (Bushfire smoke)

And plenty more to come.

I’ve got a house down at Moruya. It’s bad all the way up to Batemans from there.

So happy to hear they managed to save the zoo at Mogo. That brings plenty of people to the area.
Not sounding good for all the houses along George Bass Drive (including Lilli Pilly).
Stay safe everyone.

PS. I’m living in Brisbane now and we’ve been lucky up here for awhile now. Mainly just smoke from mosquito coils of late.

3 Likes

Satellite view of New Years Day fires/smoke on the South coast of NSW and Vic.
Sorry NZ Bro’s.

In-laws have a place at Mossy Pt, just up the road a bit from your’s. Was pretty hairy there a couple of days ago, Saturday will be the bad day.

Many parts of Victoria are now under a threat, including places such as Bright and Omeo.

I already suggested that they send a bill to our PM.

1 Like

I’m from Northern California and have used both of these methods for indoor training during our wildfires.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Facepiece-Respirator-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B001NDN29O?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
and
https://www.google.com/search?q=box+fan+merv+13&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS505US508&sxsrf=ACYBGNSIzB-plGEfx28BvX3cZZIaub6shQ:1578016984031&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwibi6Guq-bmAhXCZs0KHQKUD40Q_AUoAnoECA4QBA&biw=1920&bih=1040

I’ve just cancelled a trip to Bright to bag some of the peaks.

And todays ride out to the Mornington Peninsula from Melbourne is now off. It’s smokey as heck outside (I’m in the Bayside suburbs, SE of Melbourne)

Bright and surrounding areas are now effectively closed ahead of the weekend.

I booked accommodation last week for MTB Nationals to be held there mid-March. When were you going to bag the peaks?

A week either side of Australia day…

Been a tradition for a number of years now.
Wake up in Bright.
Coffee at Bright Velo.
Pick a peak.
Ride out (or drive out, depending on distance) to the start of the climb
Warm up
Climb like a mofo
Coffee up top
Descend
Into the river for some cold water recovery
Nap in the arvo
Brewery in the evening for some carb loading
Repeat

Just read that Bright’s been evacuated. It’s a ghost town at the moment which is crazy to think about. It’s normally pumping at this time. Wonder how Audax and 3 Peaks will handle it…

The way things are going, I don’t see it’s happening. Not the way things are going anyway.

Agreed. It’s the 5th of Jan… the hottest weeks are still 6-8 weeks away.

OP asked how bad is it to train in high AQI conditions?
I had my worst sinus infection after jogging near Beijing, China a few years ago.
It’s not worth it. Keep your lungs for the future.

1 Like

Agree. Do strength training instead. @chad knows, we all need it

1 Like

I think this would be a good topic for the show.
Also the same question from a positive perspective. Even in good air quality, would training with a good air purifier increase your training effectiveness @chad?

Winds from the south are pushing the smoke up from the NSW South Coast.

The AIS modified the current NSW public health guidelines to assist athletes who train outdoors at high exercise intensities and for longer durations, such as cycling, rowing and running.
The guidelines provide recommendations based on the current air quality index (AQI), with suggested modifications to training schedules based on the severity of the air pollution.
For healthy individuals, the AIS recommends that if the AQI reading is above 150, outdoor training should be rescheduled indoors and exposure minimised as much as possible. Asthmatics should not compete or train outdoors if the AQI is between 100 and 149. Source.

2 Likes

Minnesota is really bad right now, who else has taken to indoor riding?