Training Plan Progression (Traditional Base or SSB?)

My race season ended great and I almost reached my stretch goal of a 300w FTP, falling just short at 298. However, I’m taking a different approach than I did last year (TB 1, 2, 3, GB, SSB 1 & 2, GB and XCM Specialty). I can’t stomach the thought of doing Traditional Base again, so this year I’m doing SSB1 & 2, repeating SSB1 & 2, Short Power Build and XCO Specialty. Stretch goal this year will be 4.0 w/kg.

3 Likes

My CX season ended up being quite good although my adherence to my build plans was not as good as I would have liked. I think part of the reason for this drop off in motivation during the build was related to some mental burn out from a lot of ~3 hour trainer rides in the basement. I did end up with a slightly improved FTP but felt like my fitness was better than reflected in my ramp tests as my results were better than last year. I think this is probably attributed to the traditional base and figuring out what fueling worked for me through testing during training/racing. This year I am going to do SSB 1 and 2 MV instead during the winter because i am more concerned with consistency through the entire year than crushing the TSS during the winter and fading during the spring.

1 Like

Do you mean 2019 for the 4.0w/kg or the season of 2020?

2020 season

1 Like