Training for ultra-distance

Since I started cycling as a mean to travel (not really as a sport per se), I continue to plan my outside rides to explore as much as I can. I’m only making my days either longer or harder (elevation wise), or both. Maybe it’s unnecessary, but I don’t think it’s detrimental. On the contrary, as mental is very important for this kind of event I think that training myself on that aspect to discover my limits and push them is a good thing. I’m also becoming very efficient on non-riding stuff (for example I can set up my camp and be in bed in less than 20 minutes, and in the morning I need 15 minutes to be ready and leave).

But I won’t lie, I mostly do like this because I like this. I usually try to ride at least 2 days and camp in the woods. I mostly have 2 kinds of “big week-ends”: either I just want to go somewhere (so I pick a flat-ish and faster route), or there’s an area I’d like to explore and then I look for nice roads and lots of elevation.

I honestly don’t care much about the shorter training rides, and I might even not have the courage to get on my bike if it’s only for half a day. My love for cycling comes from exploring new places and/or going further; but I think you need to find what’s motivating you. I’ve done a 300km day, so now I’m planning a 400km day; I’ve done a 4500m of elevation day, so now I’m planing an everesting. Those are the challenges I like and I train for and with those rides.

Here is what I rode since I’ve gotten my Garmin computer last november (so with winter and 2 lockdowns in the way):

As you can see it’s mostly longer rides, with some shorts around where I live but not so much. But I guess this is very personal: some would say to do only one 200km before your event, and only to validate your gear list.