Training for ultra-distance

Have you been through James Hayden’s thoughts?

Here’s Kristof’s blog

Kristoff put the traditional long base miles in. James is of the short faster paced school of training. Kristoff unbeatable whilst he did ultra distance. James unbeatable in later years of TCR.

I do ultra distance events but I’m old school. Simply putting the miles in with a touch of intensity once or twice a week. I usually have a 100km ride every week. A 200km ride once a month. This is year round. Then a series of 300km, 400km, and 600km events through Spring. I’m then ready for the 1,000km plus events.

I don’t aim to be at the front of the events. Just complete them comfortably. For 2,000km plus events that usually settles down to around 300km every 24 hours.

As others have said once you’re used to the longer distances. You don’t need to ride them all the time. A 400km or 600km event without stopping is good for testing out your setup and reminding stuff you’ve forgotten like how cold it gets at night even in summer.

To be at the front of the events you need to be averaging about 400km every 24 hours.

Good luck.

4 Likes