Training for ultra-distance

I feel like there has been some misconception. I already have a lot of experience: I’ve hiked more than 10’000km, with some very long hikes (Continental Divide Trail, 5 months, 4500km) or some very harsh (Jordan and Iceland thru-hikes, winter hikes in the Alps). I know myself quite well, and I definitely know my kit very well (and, incidentally, I’ve use a Cumulus quilt for more than 250 nights). I’ve also traveled by bike for 5 months in Patagonia (and I was planning to go all the way to Alaska but Covid19 made me come home). Since I’ve come home, I’ve done several multi-days cycling trips (up to 2 weeks) with a minimal bikepacking kit.

My setup for a 2-weeks easy MTB trip with camping gear and 3 days worth of food

My questions were only on the cycling preparation side of things. Of course, I’m always interested if you have some experiences to share, but I feel quite prepared kit and experience wise.

Weight: unless you are seriously overweight, don’t worry about it, a bit of on-board fuel isn’t that much of a problem. Many multi-day riders start several kg “overweight” as they know that no matter what they do they’ll run a calorie deficit so they’ve got something in the bank as it were.

While I would not say I’m seriously overweight (my ego would not like that), my BMI is 28.5 so I definitely need to lose some weight and not only for the sake of being faster on the bike. Loosing 10kg would make my BMI 25, which is more healthy anyway.

I’ve always had troubles monitoring what I eat, and I’ve found that having this kind of challenges (registering for cycling events) helped tremendously.

I think I can already manage 3 days of 200km if the elevation gain is moderate. But elevation is quite my nemesis: I’ve done 3 days of 150km / 3000m of elevation multiple times and the 4rth day I always toasted.

I get that ultra-endurance is niche, but I would argue it is less and less so. Even so, how many people are interested in ultra-endurance / travel by bike? If you compare with people actually engaging in crit, I don’t think the numbers would be too far, and yet the trainerroad podcast talks about crit almost every episode.

I definitely don’t want to compete with those guys. I want to do this for me, to have a goal and help me becoming better as a cyclist and healthier in general.