Training for "BIG" Climbs

roger that; just be careful with the vo2max and Sweet spot overkill. Take a rest week after 3 weeks of that and see how your body does. It’s a lot of intensity for someone without a big base.

I would start easier but I’m old school. Big foundation, then intensity.

1 Like

Exactly this. A few of my cycling friends did Mt Etna on hardly any training at all. 18km at 6% gradient. They did a few small hill climbing sessions back home. On the right gearing and maintaining a sensible pace they made it no problems.

1 Like

I just completed the Trans ALP (MTB stage race in the Alps with 18,000M ascent in 7 days)

Some of the days had 3,400m ascent with 8 hrs of riding. Due to time pressures my longest ride before this race was 2hr40. Longest TR ride was 2hr.

On all the climbs (longest was approx 15k and 1400m ascent I kept my HR in the 130’s bpm (which for me is lower end of sweet spot), this was fine and didn’t “cook” me for the rest of the day.

Take lower gearing than you “think” you need and pace the long climbs slowly (if you have further miles after)

I completed the race at 255ftp and 70kg “reasonably” comfortably.

1 Like

…“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause…”

I am not a racing snake - carry a bit of extra weight but am relatively fit for cycling. So perhaps my view is not so technically expert about cycling. I am more a enthusiastic sportive rider than anything else. I have done some long climbs - the Maratona being the most notable. Did a strong base Trainer road traditional as the Sweet spot was too hard on my knees (following knee replacement) and then built up to try to do at least one ‘long ride’’ 50 miles 2-3000 ft climbing a week leading up to this. Perhaps I set my sights too low but I know I won’t race up the hills but I can do them.

A mantra I was taught was can I pedal any slower as going into the red which will soon destroy my effort on a long climb. European hills so much longer than many in UK so you can’t just grunt up them as it will wear you out. Am now training for Mont Ventoux in Sept following the same formula as before but this time doing sweet spot (knees better) and my cycling base generally stronger and getting out each week.

As well as cycling I feel time in gym good so I am doing weights (have always done them) but anything I can do to shift my weight power ratio it will help (and also help my knee health). Big weights to build (still building up gently after knee replacement and before next one) but also micro stuff to make sure glutes are firing and hamstrings are good.

1 Like

I mentioned my friends climbed Mount Etna and made it on little trouble. I should also point out there was a group of riders, maybe 5 or 6, that attempted to climb it and were in the broom wagon after 300 meters. One guy even had an TT helmet :joy:

If you are not experienced take the time to understand it will be a tough time.

Blimey - 6’6” and 178lbs - you must be super lean dude - kudos

I’m 3” shorter than you but nearly 40lbs heavier …

Doh!

If you have the time I would say do a mid volume schedule but with the Ssbhv workouts. These longer climbs take a lot of muscular endurance which these 90-120min sweet spot workouts provide. I did SSBHV over the summer and I can now ride at sweet spot ~35-45 min with no issue.

Yeah… I’m tall and lanky… I still get jealous of the dudes who are much shorter and have smaller builds. But I try to stay as light as is healthy for me. =)

Would add, given I live in the Austrian Alps and these surround me (and now haunt me ha), basic sustained sweet spot would be perfect but then more importantly mental resilience. The latter I meant get used to being in a grinding mode, heard rate elevated, an uncomfortable feeling generally, use mental tricks like doing stupid math or reciting something, it’ll get you used to it. Most climbs last an hour, unless you’re on grossglockner then it’s even longer. Train for that first and then it’ll come, we all can do it, no special tricks needed, if I can do it anyone can. :slight_smile: