Training during injury recovery

I hit a gap in a cattle guard at speed on Sep 1st of 2018. Ended up with severe lacs to face and tongue, lost a lot of blood, got some rash, knocked out a bunch of teeth, ended up with a tracheostomy tube, spent a night in the ICU. Luckily, nothing critical to pedaling a bike was severely hurt :sweat_smile: I pedaled the trainer one mile on the day I got home from the hospital and it took a reasonable amount of effort just to do that. I spent a lot of time in bed that first week but I would still spin a couple of miles on the trainer here and there. My second week I rode 42 miles (for reference Iā€™d been doing 125-150 per week and was fit to race LOTOJA prior to the accident). I gradually eased back into it and just watched my heart rate. Iā€™m a surgeon and am a firm believer in ā€œactive recoveryā€ to keep tissue healthy. It was almost three months before my blood volume recovered enough to go all out but I did race my local CX race 10 weeks after the accident. If you didnā€™t lose any blood then I donā€™t see any reason why you canā€™t still be doing pretty good endurance work at this point.

1 Like