Training around new insane work schedule with overseas travel

I’m hitting a roadblock with my training because of work and travel commitments and don’t know where to go from here.

I live on the east coast of the US and I’ve been tasked with supporting my colleagues in Japan on some of our projects for one month every 2 months. Sounds great on paper but in reality not that good. This means for that one month period I’m essentially working from 10pm to 8am local time for 2 weeks in order to match their office hours then I travel to Japan and stay there for 2 weeks and fly back at the end of the month.

My scheduled basically did a 180 and my body is not adjusting well. Are their any adjustments I can make to help with training. until my body knows whats going on? I’m running on 3-4 hours of sleep a night until my lock adjusts. So my training is much, MUCH more difficult because of fatigue.

2 Likes

I’m sorry I don’t have any constructive suggestions for you….but that schedule is insane. I sincerely hope you got a massive raise to do that…

Persoanlly, my resume would be out to everyone I know if I was put on a schedule like that.

Your training will take a hit but sounds like a sacrifice for a good job opportunity. You didn’t mention if you are single, in a relationship or if kids are involved. Of course that complicates things.

Black out shades will be key. First priority will be to get into a good sleep routine. Once that is established find a good time to ride. 3-4 hours of sleep just isn’t sustainable, and that’s not even considering training. Personally for me I would train in the evening before work, as I need a few hours to fully unwind after training. But everyone is different. Find what works for you.

We can only do the best we can. You got a tough schedule, try not to stress too much about skipping a ride for sleep. Best of luck to you!!