TrainerRoad users' bikes

I’m in the same boat coming from mtb and have been considering this and several other bikes for a while now. I’d love to know your thoughts when you get a few rides in.

I’ve had it for about 3 weeks and have 450 miles on it, to include a gravel century. I don’t have anything to compare it to since it’s my first drop bar. However here are my impressions.

I love the 1x and electronic shifting. It was definitely the right choice and I can’t imagine using anything else. The Explorer cassette has been great as well. I don’t think I’ll need anything more (40 x 10-44), but I have BWR (Michigan) coming up in 2 months that consists of 142 miles and 9k of climbing, so I’ll know more after that.

I swapped out the seat and put the same one from my MTB (WTB Volt carbon). It’s always been comfortable and weighs much less. I also added the same pedals (eggbeaters) and cages (Arundel). I’ve kept the TR1 tires and they measure about 42.7mm on the 25mm id rims which are set up tubeless. Race ready it comes in at 19lbs, 6oz.

I’ve had a bike fit and that got me close, however I was having some pain in my hands. I’ve since raised the hoods and that’s helped. It’s not perfect but I’m close. I’ve purchased some softer bar tape that I need to install. I’ve also recently tried some padded gloves that I’m liking. Compared to my MTB I’m just not quite used to the hand positions. I’m sure that’s something I’ll just need to get used to and tweak. The drops feel completely foreign and I’ll likely spend 99.9% of the time on the hoods.

As far as the bike/frame itself, it feels good. I have no complaints but I also have no comparison.

3 Likes

Padded gloves are nearly a must on rough rides with drop bars for me, where I run unpadded gloves on my MTBs.

Bar tape may help with that some.

Drops come in handy when you want more power on the brakes, but out on the hoods is where is spend 99.9% of my time on road/cross/gravel.

This is very helpful. Thank you. My one and only drop-bar was about 25 years ago, so it is basically irrelevant at this point. I’ll be interested in what you have to say after the BWR as longer rides with lots of climbing is my main reason for wanting to add this kind of bike. Thanks again, glad you’re enjoying it!

1 Like

Evo and Prinoth

This bike is just so darn good…

Edit / Story: Just upgraded my trusty but aging 2014 Epic S-works (Brain, SRAM, Magura) to an Epic Evo Pro. (Fox suspension and dropper with full XTR group and carbon wheels) and have been riding it in Park City Utah for a week now.

I’d been looking to get an EVO but had no luck earlier in the year. This bike happened by chance and I grabbed it. In addition to the older Epic S-Works, I ride a Mojo 3 and a Chameleon single speed.

Am absolutely convinced that these 120/120 +/- type bike are perfect for my riding. Couldn’t be happier with this EVO and even happier to be De-Brained.

(P.s. For non-skiers, the machine is a snow-cat groomer without tracks.)

13 Likes

2017 Diamondback Haanjo. Picked this up at a pretty steep discount courtesy of my employer’s sponsorships. Think I paid around $850 out the door. Came with mechanical Ultegra front and rear. Made a commitment to myself and my wife that I was/am going to work on upgrading my motor as much as reasonably possible before I worry about a better bike.

Originally came with a pair of private label (brand only) HED wheels that were junk. After the rear cassette blew up somehow – I decided to get a pair of GR1600. Yes, yes, I realize that I spent almost as much on a pair of wheels as I did on the whole bike originally, but I think it may have addressed the greatest weak spot of the bike. I’ll start looking for something better next year or whenever I feel more flush with cash.

It will continue to make a good back-up, knock around, trainer bike. But until then, it’s my daily driver.

I live in MN. Salsa Beargrease is my other bike. Bought it during the pandemic to maintain my sanity during winter.

15 Likes

genesis flyer from 2016 - converted to straight bar, gravel king tyres, 46 x 19T - brilliant ride - first bike I go to for a quick blast.

Condor potenza from 2008 - 46 x 17T - (medium gear) twitchy, looks great, and quick

11 Likes

New set of wheels are on their way, but heres a pic from my most recent ride :slight_smile:

10 Likes

+1. Given my experience with my Evo I am wondering if I really need the long-travelled Enduro standing next to it in the garage. The Evo works just fine under all the conditions and on all the trails I usually ride. Only on park days and real rough terrain I opt for “the tank”.

1 Like

It’s my old university building - flashbacks :grimacing:

1 Like

My “bigger” bike is a Mojo3. Am going to sell it. Evo is all the bike I need for going down and need all the help I can get going up.

My ride this season, we’ve been through a lot so far. A sprint race on the calendar tonight, maybe the last race of the season :smiling_face_with_tear:

21 Likes

The grey / white two tone is :star_struck:

3 Likes

Question… Have you ever had any issues with the stock wheels?

I’ve got the same drop-dead gorgeous bike with the same DT Swiss CR1600 wheelset. I’m 200 pounds and was disappointed to break spokes on the rear wheel multiple times in the first year of ownership. I’m doing 98% road riding and not jumping too many curbs, I swear! (I switched to a hand built set of Velocity Aileron Clydesdale wheels and haven’t had an issue since.)

@mimod No, I have not. Im 170lbs and race very hard(top 10) on very chunky terrain and run tubeless without inserts. Have bottomed out and hit rim numerous times and never had an issue with the wheels. I find them very tolerable.

New wheelset day :blush:

26 Likes

Nice! what width are the rims? are you noticing any rub? What size tires were you able to run?

Sweet bike!

They’re 21mm internal, 27.6mm external. Certainly are wide, had to back the calipers off quite a bit!

Haven’t actually ridden them yet! Maiden voyage tomorrow, the freehub sounds pretty mega though! Will report back on the rub if any. Feel pretty stiff on the workstand though.

Got them fitted with 23mm contis at the mo. Couldn’t go any bigger on my frame I don’t think, it’s pretty snug. The 23s look more like 25/26mm imo. Hopefully no flex so no rub :blush:

2 Likes

New bike day! 2022 Giant Defy Advanced 2. I’m not racing road bikes, so I went with an endurance frame.

Poor thing got wet on the bike rack on the way home from the shop, but here it is in all it’s hallway glory.

Of course I have some upgrades coming. I just so happen to have an almost new Ultegra 11 speed crankset that will go on it. I have a stages left side power meter headed my way, and of course some Hunt aero wheels lined up to go on it.

First carbon bike I’ve ever owned, first disk brake bike I’ve ever owned, and first tubeless bike I’ve ever owned. This old man is catching up with the times!

I think I’ll save close to 300g on the crankset swap, and 500g on the wheels and tires. Should put me at upper 17lbs (about a pound lighter than my steel Allez).

24 Likes

Very modified Canyon Endurace CF 7.0 on the Galibier.

28 Likes