TR Success Story - Michigan Mountain Mayhem 2018

Hello fellow TR users:

I took up cycling in September 2018 based on doctor’s advice. Starting riding with a Trek a Domane SL5 Disc. Got my Wahoo Kickr in Nov 2018, and started using TR in Jan 2019 after dabbling with Zwift over the holidays.

I finished SSB LV 1 and 2 along with SPB over April and May.

I took up the metric century route of the Michigan Mountain Mayhem as a challenge. This is an unusually hilly ride, especially for Michigan:

http://www.michiganmountainmayhem.com/mmmspringclassic/course-info/

Heavy rain resulted in several riders starting around 8:30 - 9 AM.

I suffered a flat early on, but two kind gents lent a helping hand (and a CO2 canister).

Several others suffered a flat because a miscreant dropped thumb tacks on the road on purpose, to sabotage the ride.

I attempted the 67-mile route, and while the urge to quit became strong, especially after about 55 miles and 3800 ft of climbing, I kept going.

I did have to walk one of the monster climbs (“The Wall”) which has an average of 9% grade, but I completed all other climbs (and there were many of them :sweat:)

I’m happy to report that I was able to finish the ride, thanks to the coaching I got from TR:

The ride was well organized, I’d recommend it to anyone who is able to make it to northern Michigan and wants to wrestle some monster climbs. I hope to do the 105-mile ride next year. :crossed_fingers:t4:

3 Likes

Congratulations! The rain and cooler temps certainly made for a challenging ride.

1 Like