TR Running Thread 2021

Yeah this makes a lot of sense. Am definitely looking to up the run and bike volume this year (380 hours total for 2020). My only issue is lacking motivation to run during the colder months and mostly sticking to the trainer. In a year I’ll be moving to a warmer area (if all goes as planned) and in the mean time I’m gonna try to fall in love with the treadmill!

1 Like

Just curious about the discrepancy between 2015 and 2016. It seems like you ran double the mileage and your marathon time was the same. Did you just not run another one? Also how does your cycling and other workouts factor in volume wise? Seems like you made a lot of progress in the last few years, and seeing progress like you have seen seems like it’d be tough for me to match, but I’ll do my best

I’m the exact opposite in that I lack motivation to run outside the colder months. From about March to Nov, it’s ridiculous hot and humid here in Taipei. Most every run feels like a slog. Yes, you get used to it, but it’s such a relief and difference when the mercury finally drops. You can always put on more clothes, but you can’t take your skin off :joy:

2 Likes

Maybe we could also use this thread as an ongoing opportunity for ‘where did you run today’.

Sunday long run for me. Anyone else run today?

4 Likes

I ran 32 miles / 52km yesterday (closer to 34 forgot to start my watch not once but twice :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:) than 13 miles / 21 km today. Total mileage for the week 105 miles / 169 km. This was my last really high mileage week for an ultra in a few weeks. If it happens.

I was happy with my run yesterday, averaged 8:40, with the last five miles sub 8 min. I’ve never done an ultra so have no idea what to expect all I can do is make an estimation based on training runs.

5 Likes

Also, 100%.

Injury. Prior to 2017 my ‘training’ mostly consisted of running to run. No actual structure or consistency. Volume was inconsistent from week to week… I vividly remember running through a minor stress fracture and painful shin splints during my marathon.

In 2017 I became frustrated after stalling at 345 and put my focus on better running. Made it a point to actually structure my runs. To have purpose and be mindful of volume/intensity/frequency. My goal for the prior two years was to break 330 but midway through the year I thought things were progressing well enough to break 315. I ran a half a month out from my marathon and ran 130. It was then I realized I could potentially break 310 (BQ). Did everything I could to optimize the remaining weeks of training and ran 3:06:19. This was an unbelievable achievement (to me) as I never even considered this was possible for me.

I ultimately did not get accepted as the required cushion was nearly 5 minutes that year and I missed out by 70 seconds. After this I decided to go all in and focus more so on running. Especially after BAA lowered the BQ times another five minutes.

All that to say, consistency and purposeful running made the biggest difference for me. I added my biking mileage below for reference. This of course was a factor in my running improvement, but to what extent, who knows. But still managed to run decent runs the year after my run focus.

Biking
2014 - 232.00 mi
2015 - 1,045.25 mi
2016 - 2,396.26 mi
2017 - 2,108.36 mi
2018 - 2,019.17 mi
2019 - 5,431.80 mi (I was tired of two years of run focus and got a new road bike)
2020 - 3,685.12 mi

Edited/Updated
2014 - 346.44 mi (3:46)
2015 - 374.08 mi (3:42)
2016 - 792.67 mi (3:48)
2017 - 1,039.28 mi (3:06)
2018 - 1,500.70 mi (2:57)
2019 - 1,176.80 mi (no marathon)
2020 - 1,508.94 mi (3:05 vBoston)

2 Likes

That’s incredible - on my run today I started to play with the idea of an ultra marathon. How long have you been building up to that kind of weekly mileage and do you also cycle with TR at the same time?

Sub 8 min miles are so impressive for that distance!!

Massive good luck if your ultra goes ahead.

Let me preface my mileage with I have been “seriously” running since around 2010-2011. From about 2010 until 2014 I would typically average 60 miles per week and upwards of 90 during a marathon cycle. I got into triathlons around 2014 allowed a coach to dig me into a huge hole for two years (over trained) that took about another two years of doing whatever I wanted and slowly working back up to that mileage.

During this past summer I averaged 40-50 miles per week while riding 4 times per week. Than around October I dropped the bike to 3 times per week and increased running to around 60-75. November was bike 2x per week T/Th just sweet spot 2x20, 3x18, 4x12 etc @90% and running 7 days per week.

November weekly mileage 75, 81, 77, 67
December weekly mileage 83, 88, 92, 76 (week of Christmas, still ran but kept mileage low for family)

Beginning Dec 28th no biking just running - 95 miles
Jan 4th - 105 miles

I’ll get back on the bike 2x during taper and slowly bring the mileage down 70, 50, 25 - something like that

3 Likes

May I ask what distance ultra you are doing? Aiming to be at the pointy end? Kudos on the milage!

It’s a double marathon 52 miles, it’s within a 4 hour drive from my house. I have no idea where I’ll be in regards to the field. This is my first ultra. I have a few goals though:

1. no walking unless at aid stations
  2. I do have a time goal though I never tell anyone it’s a superstition dating back to my marathon days
  3. enjoy the crazy idea
3 Likes

Depending on your course profile, walking hills is actually a good idea. Pacing is vital in such a long event.

Very cool! You had really great progress and that’s awesome. Were you using the bike as a cross training tool and just doing Z2 rides basically? Or were you still going through a TR program at the time?

Interesting interview with Phil Maffetone this week on The Drive podcast.

2 Likes

Although I agree with walking during a long run, lately I have been rethinking this approach, specially at the end.
I did try walk and run approach for the virtual Boston, and it was terrible! my hamstring were much better when running than walking. Restart running after a walk was a nightmare!
Pretty sure that walking for a bit on a 52 mile run will not be the end of the world, but IDK anymore.

It’s not a hilly course but supposedly a little technical in stretches so that will slow my pace. I’m okay with that.

1 Like

Not following a TR plan but doing a lot of sweet spot at 90%. Longest ride I was doing was 1:15 during the week, since I was running afterwards. 2x20, 3x15, 4x12 were the main ones.

Using the bike as a cross training tool. I think they longer efforts at 90% helped strengthen the quads, which is a weak spot for me. I did do some z2 rides on the weekends during September and October.

For me when I stop and or walk during a long run my legs kind of freeze up, takes a couple of minutes of awkward running to get going again. I hope to not have to walk but who knows what will happen at mile 40 and beyond.

1 Like

Ahh, I was specifically talking about ultra events involving significant elevation changes. The Galloway approach works for a lot of people running standard marathons but I haven’t tried it and have no plan to. Definitely agreed that stopping and starting constantly (in the context of a road marathon) doesn’t sound appealing at all.

1 Like

Spoiler… its not fun.
I mean, I completed a 3:24 marathon walking and running (my second marathon in 2013).
It wasnt horrible, but the walking stopped before the cramping would have started… (about 16 miles in).

last spring for the Virtual Boston, i did the whole thing walk and run, and was NOT FUN AT ALL

1 Like

I think it takes a lot of practice. Maybe some find it easy, me I think it has to be regular like weekly part of your training.

3 Likes