TR Running Thread 2021

Last year’s modest goal of merely enjoying some regular but unstructured running w/o volume or pace targets was thoroughly obliterated by my March encounter with covid and subsequent long-haul covid symptoms. So this year, my goal is to continue my recovery and gradually work my way into some regular, easy-paced, short runs again. I’ve been carefully building up with a handful of short walk/jog sessions on the treadmill each week, so I’m optimistic that I’ll get there at some point.

2 Likes

I think it is also part of the running fitness.
I was not ready, by any stretch of the imagination, to run 26 miles.
My longest run before that was like 22 miles 6 months before the V boston. My legs were not ready for 26 miles.

I don’t have any performance goal for this year yet. I don’t know if there are any races that are actually going to happen.

So i’ve started doing a simple 1km loop at the park across my street, daily. I’m heavy. I’m slow. But i just want to make it a habit…get my legs used to it. And figure out other process goals as i see how my body adapts to it.

2 Likes

I would like to achieve the following

• 1200 miles - last year 744 my most ever, target was 365 miles, average of 1 mile a day at the start of 2020.
  • No injury requiring more than 5 days of no running
  • Sub 46 minute 10km, PB 46:xx, but never ran a race 10km or gone for a 10km
  • Sub 1hr 46 HM, thought I had done a 1:48, but when I looked it was 12.8 miles projected on for a 1:47.xx pace for HM, had a hip injury and pulled calf and had to stop.(Rugby Achilles injury resurfaced.)
  • Sub 21 minute 5km, although I really would like to do a sub 20, not done that since my twenties, now 48.
  • Continue to enjoy my new found joy for running
  • Run comfortable (decent pace) in a Sprint Tri (stretch goal, as pools are closed and need to be able to swim 400m in one go, lol)

Not sure if those Sub/Distance/pace goals are inline with each other, but I don’t care, thought about it and I think I’d be happy with that. Some might be soft and others hard?

3 Likes

Huge bummer today.

I got my glute reinjured again!
I kinda knew this was about to happen. It has been feeling weird lately and uncomfortable for a couple of weeks during the wo.
Today that turned into pain. so i had to cut the wo very short…

not happy about this.

I was, but not following any plans (TR or otherwise).

I started running in 2010/2011 and cycling 2014. Much like running, my cycling was inconsistent and unstructured for several years even if I was ramping up mileage. When I started my focus/structured running (2017-2018) I mostly used cycling for group/social rides. I suppose it was mostly z2 and maybe some tempo here and there.

After my marathon in late 2018 I wanted to switch my focus to cycling and start racing Crits. That’s when I started using TR (January 2019). Similarly to what I did with cycling when I was focused on running I did the same with running while focused on cycling. As I followed the TR plans (SSB > Short PB > CS) I sprinkled in mostly z2 runs with the occasional tempo/threshold runs.

I personally felt a great deal of overlap (crossover effect) from the cycling. I wasnt running nearly as many ‘workouts’ but still able to run fast times when/if I decided to jump into a race.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

That’s a “bummer” :sweat_smile:

Hope it’s not too serious and you heal up quickly. Can you still ride the bike?

Well I’ve been running easy every day except Sunday since New Year’s Eve and I am not inspired at all. :smile:

Does anyone enjoy 321 running?

I mean it’s not tiring so I guess it’s doing the job.

I find the 321 approach quite hard, but I think it does provide the results. I am giving it a 4 week block and seeing how I am at the end of it. At the moment just trying to run at zone 2 as I was off for the month of December

1 Like

:rofl:

good one.

So, yes… I was able to ride…it was not super comfortable, but not painful.

No. There’s something about the structure of it that feels awful to me. I’ve done 6 days easy on other plans that don’t rely on the 321 and those have felt less mind numbing.

2 Likes

What’s your glute injury? I’ve suffered from piriformis syndrome in the past, which caused some significant pain in the glute region, and found that alternating walking sideways both ways on the treadmill for a multi-minute cooldown after my outdoor runs helped quite a bit. PT was also somewhat helpful, but working the muscles in a different plane of motion at the end of the run really made a difference for me.

1 Like

Yes… this is what I got.
First in October, and with the recent speed stuff it kind aggravated the area.
it was pretty sored last night. Its not great today, but much better.
I have a run tomorrow and might do a few side runs instead of strides…

Not just me then :sweat_smile:

I’ll try to stick it out for a few more weeks to get a 4wk block in like @Andrew_Sturgess then reassess.

If I had the treadmill I could at least get some virtual variety. But they can’t send an engineer until February.

1 Like

Hmmm just read up on 3-2-1 running… i think i could manage that!

Right now i’d say is more of my base phase where im just getting easy mileage in and trying not to break anything

1 Like

Ran every day so far, at least 5km (one 10km), best start to a year ever. 50 miles up today.

3 Likes

Welp, I got motivated seeing the thread and gave a try at my first outdoor run in longer than I can recall (think I tried once about five or six months ago, and that pretty much destroyed me). It wasn’t much, just an easy-paced effort slightly over 5k. Anyway, I don’t feel too bad so far. Not coughing much, do have a bit of a headache afterwards, but it felt soooo good while I was out there, to slip into that sensation of running zen for the first time in a long time.

7 Likes

Oh man…
Had to scratch the run today…
Was dressed and everything…started and there were considerable amounts of pain on the right glut.
Went to the trainer instead and did 45 minutes ( didnt had time for a longer wo), 3x 9min @ 95 ftp

How did it feel during the ride?

No pain whatsoever…
No pain walking either.
But as soon as i start running…boom…pain