TR pricing based on hours of Training?

I hear where you are coming from. You’ve brought up some interesting ideas, and you are entitled to your thoughts and opinions. George Patton once said, “If everyone is thinking the same, someone isn’t thinking.” That being said, I don’t believe public forums are the best place to bring these suggestions. I believe they are best communicated privately straight to TR. In the end, TR is a private business. I’m certain they appreciate input from their users, but members of a forum ultimately have no say. I’m sure TR has considered many different pricing structures. No successful innovative business such TR thrives without considering such. They have chosen the pricing structure that works for them. We can accept that pricing structure, we can choose to use a competitor that uses a pricing structure more to our liking, or we can choose to create our own competing businesses that offer the choices we believe should be offered. Best wishes.

1 Like

Pricing for services in this sector has basically gelled to $10-$15/month - with a whole pack in the $10 range, and some (Zwift, TR, Sufferfest) at $15. That pretty much confirms the value perceived by users. Many use multiple services (TP + TR, etc), so are paying multiple $10-15/month. The alternatives outside this group of apps are gyms, spin studios, and coaching services (although as usual each of these alternatives propose at the same time more and less than each of the apps).

No app provider seems to use pricing domination as a strategy, and none is going the high road either. That’s an indication of a still-developing market with a well-formed perceived value. Most players are jockeying for coverage (adding TP-like features in TR, for example) or unique features (racing in Zwift, for example).

1 Like

For the first 8 months of usage, I had a coach doing my swimming and running schedule plus a TR wo.
That worked well for a while, but then I started having troubles with over training.
There is a line that you shouln’t cross when training multiple sports competitive. (not talking using one as an xtraining).

I feel that TR takes into consideration the level of effort of the bike and prescribe running that will not cook your legs. If you do your own, you risk cooking your legs and have a hard time completing wo and gaining fitness.

If you do a tri plan, you can ignore the swims.
The running is sufficient to keep your running fitness and allowing you to grow the bike fitness.
If you set up a race, and look into the future, they will layout a great plan.

This is what i have gather from the plan
You hit the bike hard early on the plan. The idea is to gain cardio fitness and leg strength as quick as possible, while training to sustain the race level effort (about tempo pace for Half Ironamn).
Then they move to keep the bike fitness and ramp up the running. You will see that the running get super hard later on. Its no joke the running wo they will plan for you.
Final step is maintain fitness till race day.
Its seems magical, but i hope it works.

My point is: Give trainer Road plan builder a break
Do their workouts. I think you will like the results.

1 Like

I disagree with this. TR people are listening to us on the forums. If they see people have good ideas (feature requests) they might engage in conversations about them.

Just because most of us like the current paying structure, doesnt mean that TR would not be willing to hear alternate plans or ideas.
They want to make money, and who know maybe someone will come up with an idea that would make sense to TR to addopt.

I think you misunderstood. I said it wasn’t the “best” place to communicate such suggestions. Sure, they are listening, but they also listen to private communications such as email, letters, phone calls, etc. Cheers.

1 Like

you are right, sure i can contact TR directly, but first i want to see what all the other users here think about, if for example 50% thinking the same, i could give it a try!

i try to find a good dialogue first :nerd_face:

yes, exactly, but right here you could create a supremacy if you could cover even more and get the competition out of it.

I think TR could probably support treadmills relatively easily for example!

i alread trying a Tri Plan with deleting Swim workouts, not totally perfect, but goes in the right direction, but everytime you have to customize the plan with Plan builder you get the swim workouts back and so.

Anyway, i found a very interesting thread here, look on the GUI, that could be really perfect!:

Trainerroad is still a business that needs to grow, they have long term plans and thats why they will do everything to get annual subscriptions. Then they can count on that money and plan accordingly. Monthly fee is already a bonus for customers, but its like a lottery win, you never know if you get any more. So imagine a subscripion which is hourly based. If the weather is good and everyone rides outside they will have low income but still high costs. Some devs have to be fired, plans postponed, next month the weather is bad and new devs have to be found.

Not a fan of this idea. I prefer the subscription method as it currently is.

2 Likes

I think pricing should incentivize riding more and spending more hours on.
This is beneficial for the user as well as TR. Longer the time user spends gets more connected and more dependent to TR.

2 Likes

Im happy with how it is now, Im 55yrs old and dont race, but it it does make me faster and fitter when I get uninterrupted use. Coming up on two years now.

There has been enormous change in last two years in the product. It is a business after all. That’s what you pay for, continuous improvement!

Love the podcasts, tons of valuable information, love the banter and the addition of Amber makes a great product even better. This all costs money.

Ha, that’s like having a tiered program for watching netfiix. If you binge and watch 8 hours you’d pay more than the guy who watched one movie a month. I think most people would have gone bankrupted during COVID. The cost is built into the platform, not by how often you use the platform. I’d recommend just paying the monthly fee and riding more to justify it. win/win

They do have tiered subscriptions though? One of the the features allows you to watch on more screens simultaneously.

Netflix had 166 Million subscribers as at 2019. I believe I heard Nate mention on PODcast that when they get to 100 million subscribers, they would enact that feature. :slight_smile:

I would just like to pay in my own countries currency thereby avoiding international transaction and currency conversion fees.

That would require TR to set up accounts in other currencies and expose themselves to currency fluctuation risk when converting into USD. I can see why a fairly small US-based company would be reluctant to do that - it would cost them money.

I am not from the US but I have a credit card that gives me good foreign exchange rates (it’s terrible for any other type of spending). I have only used it for holidays in the past but it’s also ideal for my TR subscription. Could you get a similar type of card? Or perhaps you could you get a Monzo/Revolut card? I’m not certain if it’s possible to set up direct debits with a Monzo or Revolut cards but it’s worth a go.

1 Like

IMO 189.00 annually for TR is one of the the best deals around for the money. Live coaching is typically(almost always) more than that for 1 month w/o a lot more performance value. Most people spend way more than the subsciption cost on beer, fast food, or something not nearly as beneficial. I don’t do cable TV any longer but it has gotten to be stupidly expensive. TR value for dollar spent is through the roof. If you don’t think it’s worth it simply cancel or don’t renew.

1 Like

I still think allowing you to steam from multiple devices is different than charging you for how often you use a feature. I agree that TR can be expensive if you only use it once a week…just like gym memberships. But I’d argue it would be cheaper for some people to just pay a monthly subscription when they plan to use it and unsubscribe if they can’t for whatever reason (travel, vacation, injury, etc)

1 Like

With you on that, I was just responding to what I thought was a poor analogy with Netflix.