TR Price Increase to $189.95/year ($19.95/month)

That was exactly what I said - service and business are interchangeable

Totally agree. I certainly hope other professionals I trust use their profits to expand their knowledge of their respective fields.

2 Likes

Iā€™d of signed up for an annual plan at $130. I took a break to try other platforms even though I was grandfathered in at $99, I decided that I could accept the extra $30 if I wanted to come back. Iā€™m pretty sure now that Iā€™ll stick to sufferfest and maybe the of month or two with zwift over the winter

1 Like

Also Halifax Clarity Card and Monzo in the UK.

Well, that was a mistake and clearly acknowledged by Nate. They are actively working to solve the programming issue, and will fix the problem immediately if you contact support directly (as they did for other posters in this thread with the same issue).

Donā€™t buy the service if you donā€™t think its worth the value. What they do with the money is largely irrelevant.

In any case, Iā€™d much rather support the TR guysā€™ bike habits than help some hedge fund investor make an extra $100k on his bonus for the year.

12 Likes

Thought it worth adding my feedback, as feeling conflicted as to my continued use of Trainnerroad.

Been a user since early 2015, on a monthly plan as I occasionally take time away from cycling, so like the freedom to come and go (but would have been an active subscriber for the vast majority of this period).

It seems to me like Trainnerroad has been investing heavily in new features over recent years (and can see why price rises are needed to fund additional features)ā€¦but as a more ā€˜casualā€™ user, I donā€™t really feel like Iā€™m getting the benefit of the features. I feel like by simply using the basic features that brought me to Trainerroad in the fist place (workouts and training plan), Iā€™m subsidizing the advanced features (outdoor workouts, advanced analytics etc. for those who do use them.

Iā€™ve tried most of the other platforms, but always strongly promoted Trainerroad over the years, but not sure I would do at the new pricing. Introduce a ā€œtieredā€ pricing structure, and Iā€™m likely to stick around using the more basic features, otherwise, Iā€™m likely to look elsewhere.

4 Likes

Anyone else think this thread should be locked? The issue has been beaten to death and the same questions asked over and over.

9 Likes

I wouldnā€™t. Let people complain here or else itā€™s going to get another thread started, and another, and another.

Nope. I see no need to effectively censor this topic.

Discussion is open and welcomed (within the forum guidelines) per every contact Iā€™ve had with TR support in prior ā€œhot topicsā€.

Anyone wanting to read, participate or ignore this topic (and any other) are free to do so.

Options to avoid seeing this discussion range from skipping over this thread in the active thread list (donā€™t click in to read), to using the [Muted] option at the bottom of the thread (to hide it from your feed).

In short, itā€™s the choice of each and every member of this forum how they handle this or any other topic within bounds of the forum guidelines.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve been a TR user for 18 months, locked in at $99 p.a. I make good use of my subscription and itā€™s been good value for me.

Since using TR, Iā€™ve recommended it to plenty of others because itā€™s an effective tool, and was good value.

Iā€™m lucky to have more disposable income than some others, but at the new price point Iā€™d think twice, at least, before subscribing, and it would be a very tough sell to me because the value proposition has declined. My recommendation of TR to others will also now change: great tool, but expensive, UNLESS youā€™re lucky enough to be locked in on old prices.

1 Like

I meant when I opened the forum and saw the thread title. Not that you are a joke.

1 Like

I know. Donā€™t worry :slight_smile:

Edit: I just asked my significant other. To confirm, she said I was a joke :neutral_face:

7 Likes

The problem with these ā€œtieredā€ pricing schemes is that the calendar and analysis are not extra features, they are actually core parts of TrainerRoad.

Strava(for example) can separate that out as an extra feature, because they are a social media website who also do analytics. TrainerRoad is a site that makes you faster, and analyzing your data is part of what makes you faster.

1 Like

TR was great before the calendar was ever added, and many at the time requested the ability to go back to the old way, which was promised in a future update.

Analysing data may make you faster, but itā€™s not a core feature. I got faster just by following the simple time crunched plan. As soon as I did the workout, I turned the iPad off. Looked at nothing again until i was ready to do the next prescribed workout.

Undoubtedly if you get into analysis and want to spend the time on such things, you may go even faster againā€¦but thatā€™s why I think tiered options work perfectly - casual users want basic features that are proven to workā€¦they wonā€™t get as fast perhaps as those using the advanced features, but the option to upgrade to that level is there if they want it.

What is the logic to not offering a tiered system?
As stated by many dedicated TR users here, the market they want to target seem to be more than happy to pay for the advanced features.
Why risk losing a significant percentage of more casual users by not offering a reduced feature set?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been a TR using for maybe 4-5 years so Iā€™m grandfathered in. At $99/year itā€™s a great value. At $189 I still think itā€™s a great value. I agree two price increases in a year can be a tough pill to swallow. I still use TR even though I have a coach. I either re-create my coachā€™s workouts or pick any of the TR oneā€™s if I have a choice for that dayā€™s workout. Mainly as I think their ios apps are very polished and works very well for me. Even if I was paying $189 and was paying a coach I still might have a harder time going away from TR.

1 Like

I still canā€™t believe this is going. The price increase is less than 1 cup of coffee per week. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

I donā€™t drink coffee

to hazard a guess, commercial viability. ie too many users would opt for the most basic tier and that wouldnā€™t provide enough revenue to support those additional features or develop the TR platform further.

2 Likes

It wouldnā€™t make any sense whatsoever for the product.

1 Like