Tokyo 2020 Olympic Triathlon Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

This course is so technical, it makes me dizzy :woozy_face:

I think this one is going to be all about the run

1 Like

If Brownlee could be near the front at one of those sharp turns, maybe initiate a breakā€¦maybe.

I never realised that triā€™s can have normal road bikes (I thought it was just triathlon/TT bikes)

Short course Triathlon uses normal road bikes (super sprint, sprint and Olympic distances). These events are draft legal, unlike long course triathlon.

2 Likes

ITU Pro only for clarification, Iā€™m not sure there is a draft legal event an age grouper can get into.

@HLab you can absolutely race on a road bike, and itā€™s often the best choice if youā€™re not trained on a tri bike.

1 Like

The last time I watched a tri one guy was first or second in the swim got out of the water and jumped on the tri bike bike and promptly went over the bars and fell to circa 10th. A road bike definitely would have been the best choice for him :joy:

2 Likes

Well, that was a clean T2.

That Canadian bloke at the back watching the rest of the field disappear canā€™t be feeling too great right now.

The swiss guy off the front nearly botched his T2 coming off the bike :grimacing:

1 Like

Ah god, donā€™t want to see Yee at the front this early :grimacing:

Who is the dramatic, raspy announcer?

Sugar. I was right., Blummenfelt has this.

Yee looking good for Silver, then Wilde.

2 Likes

post_deleted

2 Likes

Amazing! Really nice race.

Yee looks p1ssed off hes too fresh and looks like he could have gave more which must irk him. The other competitors looked on contrast to have given their all :thinking:

1 Like

They had to drag Blummenfelt off the course on a wheelchair. He sure gave everything.

5 Likes

Maybe. Hard to imagine he had anything left and just didnā€™t feel like giving it.

To be fair him and Blummenfelt worked that chase pack up to the lead group, they did a lot of work to get everyone back even on T2, they deserved the top spots.

3 Likes

Three Norwegians in the top 11, all from the same region with under 500.000 inhabitants. Patriotism aside, that is just awesome

3 Likes

Just goes to show the importance of a good training group that can push each member to new heights and hard work over time.

Awesome win, and we arenā€™t exactly spoiled with an abundance of (summer) olympic golds in this country, so yay Norway!

1 Like

Late to the party but there are draft legal events in the UK. The qualification races for Worlds or Europeans at sprint distance (which are draft legal) are also draft legal. Same applies for Duathlon as well.

Race was brilliant. I was on the Yee 2024 train back in 2019 and when the Olympics got pushed out a year I stayed aboard it but changed my opinion that he was a real contender this time. The only thing that he lacks is the killer finish the Blummenfelt has. Very good at putting the hurt on fields and running away from them but doesnt have the close just yet. Still a monster athlete when it is a runners race.

2 Likes