TJ Eisenhart creates a dedicated Gravel Racing Team

Hah, I think Phil is starting to feel even less relevant. Time to chase gravel KOM’s?

1 Like

:joy:

While this effects the very front of the bigger races, does it really change much for those of us riding where the biggest finish could be an age group podium? If Ted or Payson or any other pro rides away from the gun and cashes I’ll still challenge myself, test my fitness, and drink a cold beer when I finish. Pros get their ride, we get ours, all on the same gravel. Don’t think they’re going to let me ride the Tour de France with the pros.

3 Likes

I don’t think more pros entering the gravel scene changes the dynamics of the racing itself for your “average racers” – but, I could see it result in a continual increase of registration fees & an eventual tightening of rules and sanctions.

For upcoming amateurs wanting to turn “professional” in racing in America, gravel may be the most fruitful way to go about it. We may see more teams dedicated to a gravel calendar in addition to solo riders seeking sponsorship opportunities.

I see many similarities to how trail running/racing has progressed.

2 Likes

Wow. There was seriously a sponsor name every 3 seconds.

Phil Gaimon is playing a very similar game in terms of sponsorship. His latest videos for 2020 include a list of 25+ sponsors in the descriptions.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing that gravel races are becoming more popular among pros or ex pros in the US.

An interesting comparison point is Leadville. Every year since Lance (And maybe before?) there have be pros in the field. IMO this adds to the “epic-ness” of the event for the average rider. I’m sure the vibe of Leadville today is different than when it started, But IMO, the vibe at Leadville today is still pretty cool.

One thing that helps Leadville is the course is the same (or almost) every year. This means as an amateur, you don’t have to win or even place in your age group to feel that you did well. A sub 9 means you’re fast no matter what year you ride.

1 Like

I’m usually more towards the front of the back :rofl: